Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Looks like they have a wide variety of bellhousings and they specifically call out the FE.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Why? I remember back in the day using Glides for drag racing but today I don't know that the price for the transmission or controller is any different between makes. The newest auto's are co-developed between GM and Ford.

·
Registered
9,033 Posts
This is nothing new, ATI has been doing this for years. Some classes within sanctioning bodies require an SFI rated bellhousing on automatic transmissions. The next logical step is to offer swap bellhousings to fit legacy engine blocks to more modern transmissions, widening your customer base and reducing per-part cost. 4L80E to a 429 or FE engine - what's not to like? The engine or transmission isn't going to care what it's bolted up to.

·
Administrator
19,445 Posts
Our local transmission shop owner calls his 10 bay shop "the house that GM built'. Specifically he means all the 700R4's and 4L60E's that were rebuilt to pay for it versus the few other brands, Ford, Honda, etc. that came through. Given that kind of reputation, familiar to every single transmission shop in the US, I don't quite see how people find these particular units so desirable. I can kind of see it with a TH400, one of those is kind of like a C4. A quite respectable amount of power handling efficiency in a compact and fairly lightweight package. But a 700R4, not so much. Obviously there's something there or they wouldn't be doing it. But I don't get it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The new item they were showing at SEMA was the electronic controller that you could use with a tablet or phone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts