Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up the US Mag Rambler wheels today. 17x8 with 4.5 backspace. Used the charts for fit size.
Lots of room on the leaf side. Looks real tight on the fender.

Any thoughts or suggestions other than don’t run 17,s
GC

Attachments

·
Registered
765 Posts
Roll your fenders. Or return those rims. Too many of us have them .😁

·
Dimples
4,823 Posts
I replied to your PM, but for posterity, I’ll post here too.

Mine fit fine with very slight rubbing in extreme driveway angles. (245/45/17) The lips are rolled and I have an Explorer rear that’s a tad narrower if I recall correctly. (It’s been a few years so those details are getting fuzzy)

Your situation is going to be different since it’s a 68 and you have more room in general. I recommend calling around and seeing if you can find a cool tire guy that’s willing to mount and test a couple different tires to see what works best in your situation. You should be able to make it work.

Roll your fenders. Or return those rims. Too many of us have them .😁
lol

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
They dont come with 4.75" or 5" BS?

·
Premium Member
12,011 Posts
Get a rear end out a '65/'66 which is 2" narrower (1" on each side) than yours or get an Explorer rear and and shorten the driver side.

·
Registered
1968 Mustang Hoopty Coupe
13 Posts
I put 18x10.5 with a 5.25 backspacing with 275/45's on my 68. They are tight on the fender side, but rolling the lip will give you room. For whatever it's worth they are the AR Rodders too.

I tried to upload a pic, but it keeps failing...

·
Registered
760 Posts
Picked up the US Mag Rambler wheels today. 17x8 with 4.5 backspace. Used the charts for fit size.
Lots of room on the leaf side. Looks real tight on the fender.

Any thoughts or suggestions other than don’t run 17,s
GC
It’ll fit, as stated in your other thread about wheel fitment.

Sent from the interwebs... where else?

·
Registered
20 Posts
It’ll fit, as stated in your other thread about wheel fitment.

Sent from the interwebs... where else?
I’m interested in what the members say here. Your ride looks nice and wouldn’t want to roll fenders in a painted car. I’m looking to buy similar rims and tires to give it a more pro touring look. I know most of the “old school” members wouldn’t bastardize their rides but their knowledge is important.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Don’t really want to return the wheels cause I really like them. Haven’t found anything else I like with the color of the car
GC
I was joking. ;)

Anyways on my 65 with those rims I have 215/45's Front & 225/45's Rear. But my car is lowered and well a 65. Virtual Mustang Car Show

Check with your local tire place like BlakeTX mentioned. Also remember. Not all tires are made the same from manufacturer to manufacturer. You will find even if they say 245/45 for example. One might be a little wider than the other. Check Tirerack first and compare tire specs.

On a stock 68 you should be able to fit. 245/45 Rear & 235/45 front from the chart below.

I attached a PDF for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the back ordered front wheels in last week and got tires mounted yesterday.
17x7 with 205/45 on front
17x8 with 235/40 on rear.

Front seems a bit high- I have not done the drop yet and also have a set of S.D 1” lowering springs I can put on.

PO put on new leaf springs around 4-5 yrs ago ( JRS-42-437-231) I’m not convinced they have not sagged.

Drove it a little last night so far so good
Before and after

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
I ran a set if 17x8's with 4.25 backspacing and clearance at the fenders was tight. Even with rolled fender lips, the 235/45 fronts and 245/45 rears did scrape when turning into a driveway apron. I ended up trying 235/50's in the rear and 225/50's in the front and they had slightly more clearance. The pics of your car show lots of air above the tires. If your plan is to keep that stance, you most likely will not see tire rub unless you drive around with 3 passengers regularly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts