Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just finished installing my new American designers outer wheel well and inner wheel well into my 65'FB. I am test fitting the trunk floor and lower 1/4 panel patch in place but there is a 1" gap between 1/4 panel patch and the trunk floor. It looks like the outer wheel well does not have the same arch as the 1/4 panel patch there for not letting it meet the trunk floor. My question is.... what do I do? Do I beat the wheel well until it sits flat? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

G

·
How I did mine.... I also used American Designer pieces.

For pictures (and an ugly web site) see:

http://home1.gte.net/web105k5/left_fender_small.htm

I replaced the metal pieces one at a time starting with the easiest - the trunk drop off. I then cut out the outer fender well patch and installed it with the original fender still attached. Then I cut off the rust part of the fender and fit that.

I didn't need an inner fender, nor much of the outer fender as you can see in the web page.

It certainly sounds like you have more work to do than I did. Basically, I would make sure that everything fit before starting even the first weld, but it sounds like you are already farther down that path.

I would have left the fender on the car (or cut it out and saved it) Fit the inner and outer wells, just clamping in place. Then refit the old fender to check alignment, trimming the inner and outer wells as necessary. Only then, I would test fit the new fender patch.

I thought that the American Designer fender patch panel didn't fit that well at the rear valence. Also, they don't put a flange on the back edge to roll around the tail-light panel. I chose to keep the original metal on the car as much as possible, thus I cut down the repair panel to just that size necessary to get rid of the rust. I figure this way, I can do another patch in another 20 years or so. I also get beter fit.

Hope this helps. I don;t have much experience, so if I can do this, so can you.

Also, if you don't like the fit of your inner and outer wells, cut them off and try again. These repair panels are pretty cheap.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmmm..... what to do.... I have already fully welded the inner and outer wells in place. I am using the exact 1/4 panel patch you are. The place where it doesn't fit is in the middle of the wheel lip. I think I will try and "work" it down a little. I guess on the Pass. side I will replace the 1/4 panel patch first then do the inner fender wells. I have another question: on the trunk floor do you cut the extra metal the goes past the 1/4 panel and wheel well off so it is even with the bottom????

Any Advice.
Jason

G

·
Firstly, If you have a digital camera, post some pictures.

I can't quite understand what you are describing in terms of the fitment issue in the middle of the wheel lip. That rear fender replacement panel only goes up about 12 inches, hardly the middle ot the fender lip. Do you have an issue with the outer well and the remaining original fender? Its hard to describe these things in words sometimes.

Regarding "working down" the fender. Nothing is perfect. That might be the correct answer. You might have to cut slits in the fender patch and either spread out the panel or shrink it down. Body work is an art. Be subtle, don't go banging with a big hammer.

Regarding the extra height of the trunk drop-off. Yes, you have to trim it. I trimmed mine about 1/8 inch longer than the fender lip. That seemed to match the old sheet metal the best.

Regarding your though of replacing the fender first on the other side of the car: What is best is fitting all the panels first, then do the welding. Actually, I would replace the trunk drop-off with all the other original sheet metal on the car. This gives you a reference for the outer wheel well and fender. Then cut off the fender and fit the panel. Drill 1/8 inch holes at the lap joint and secure with sheet metal screws (they make a cute little clamp for this, but its not necessary). Make sure that the fender fits well. Remove the fender, then remove the outer fender well and inner fender well. Fit those in the same manner. You might want to do those as a pair. Do not weld anything until everything fits well. Shave the fender wells as necessary for proper fit. Since this isn't seen, you can do your ugliest work here. Keep fitting parts until everything aligns as well as possible. You will still need bondo on the fender to get your surface perfect. Inside the fender wells, no need for bondo, just liberal amounts of seam sealer.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will take some pics tommorow.

Thanks,
Jason

1 - 5 of 5 Posts