Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen some people use autometer gauges in thier dash. I know they use a repo gauge cluster and fit them in but I am not sure the best one to use. I want to have one large opening and 4 smaller ones. Are they all the same for fitting in autometer gauges or are some better than others? If you have doen these I could use some advise

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
What year? 65/66?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes 66. It doesnt have to be original. I want to moun a monster tach elsewhere so there is no need for another one in the gauge console

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I used a 66 factory panel and cut the bezels off. I put 2 1/16" AutoMeter gauges in the holes, with some rubber washers behind the gauges. I've seen them with 2 5/8" gauges too. The 66 panel was about $30.

Here's a picture of mine.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I used the plastic one, got it off ebay. Looks alright for being plastic

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Mine are similar to Ozark's, but I went with the 5" speedo. To get it to fit, I had to cut the dash in half. This is only my test dash. I wanted to play with an old one before cutting a new one in 1/2. I'm using 3mm led's for the high beams and blinkers.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Mounted from behind

For a more subdued appearance, and to keep sunlight from glaring on the gauges with the top down, I installed the gauges from the rear.
I used a dremel to open up the four small gauge holes a bit, and then built up a radius to mount the 3-3/8" speedo. I'm pretty sure a 4" speedo could be used, and would look better.
I have an original Shelby dash mounted tach.

Day shot:

Night shot with the lighting cranked to full:

·
Registered
173 Posts
For a more subdued appearance, and to keep sunlight from glaring on the gauges with the top down, I installed the gauges from the rear.
I used a dremel to open up the four small gauge holes a bit, and then built up a radius to mount the 3-3/8" speedo. I'm pretty sure a 4" speedo could be used, and would look better.
I have an original Shelby dash mounted tach.

Day shot:

Night shot with the lighting cranked to full:

Where did you get your gauges? & what model/ who builds them. *Drools*

·
Registered
520 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Jafo is right.

Looks like these guys:

Speedometers Gauge, Revolution Gauges Series by SpeedHut

Wish I had gone this route instead of autometer. The through gauge lighting on these is much better than the perimeter lighting on the autometers. Unfortunately it doesn't look like they have 5" gauges which is what i needed on my 67.

Jafo

Jafo is right. The guys at Speedhut did them for me. They can do a lot more than what is on the web site, and are very easy to work with. I found them by looking through websites on kit cars. They private label gauges for FFRs, and others. They installed a set of LEDs in the speedo, one blue for high beam, and two green (one for Roll Lock activation, and one as the MIL for the EFI system).

I saw a custom rear mountd gauge cluster with an overlay on the stock speedo, and then 4 matching Autometer gauges. That looked really sweet! He cut the rear steel pan gauge mount, and pieced in two new side pieces to hold his aftermarket gauges. I liked the way his came out better than mine, because the speedo fit better.
If I did this over, I'd put in a 4" speedo. It would fit the bezel better than the 3-3/8" speedo.

Good luck with your gauge project. It's pretty easy and fun to do.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I borrowed 66Runt's idea to mount from behind on a stock bezel. The gauges had their bezels removed and used the Autometer lenses.

The backside is a piece of composite that was very easy to work with.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Speedhut question for the 6 gauge cluster crowd-

Is there enough room for (2) four inch gauges and (4) 2 1/16 gauges? I was planing on making my own bezel and I would use these 4 inch speedo and tach if they fit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used a 66 factory panel and cut the bezels off. I put 2 1/16" AutoMeter gauges in the holes, with some rubber washers behind the gauges. I've seen them with 2 5/8" gauges too. The 66 panel was about $30.

Here's a picture of mine.

Hello,

I'm trying to attempt somewhat the same thing as you did, and I was wondering what you used to make your aftermarket gauges fit in the bezel. I'm installing Stewart warners in mine

Thanks,

TheGreen65

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hello,

I'm trying to attempt somewhat the same thing as you did, and I was wondering what you used to make your aftermarket gauges fit in the bezel. I'm installing Stewart warners in mine

Thanks,

TheGreen65
I have Speedhut 2-1/16” and a 4” speedo with integrated tach. The 2-1/16” gauges needed to have the gauge holes opened up with a Dremel or similar tool, you can do the same for a 3-3/8” speedo. For the back, the plastic needs to be cleared so that the locking ring can thread on. My 4” speedo was installed from the front and is held in place with some RTV.

Rusty

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have Speedhut 2-1/16” and a 4” speedo with integrated tach. The 2-1/16” gauges needed to have the gauge holes opened up with a Dremel or similar tool, you can do the same for a 3-3/8” speedo. For the back, the plastic needs to be cleared so that the locking ring can thread on. My 4” speedo was installed from the front and is held in place with some RTV.

Rusty
I really really like this. Do you have any photos of the back.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts