Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking to put some leather 96+ GT seats in my mach 1. i am wondering if i can use the electric tracks without having any problems. if there will be problems, what will they be and how can they be fixed?

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The problem with the electric seats, is that the motor is underneath the seat. On late model cars, the tracks are much thicker to accomodate this, and they don't have a seat pan, like the older cars. You'll have to either elimintate your seat pans, eliminate the motor, or live with a seat that is WAAAY too tall.

Keep in mind that this from what I hear, not from experience.

I do, however, have experience putting the "older late model seats" in. My daughter's '69 has '93 Mustang LX seats in it and my '69 has '93 GT seats in it, with electric lumbar supports (and adjustable thigh boltsters and supports). The lumbar motors are small enough, that they don't interfere with the seat pans, when the seats are mounted with vintage seat tracks.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I have my buddy's 67 fastback at my house working
on it. He has late model cobra seats in it. He had
to remove the seat pans which I will replace because
he decided to go with original seats again.

Anyway, they seam to fit ok and I see no reason why
you would not be able to move them in any direction.

They look a little bulky in there though.

Sluggo

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,733 Posts
Sounds reasonable enough. To build on that, I swapped 90's GT seats into SWMBO's '86 LX. She didn't care for them and I came up with some 98 power seats. She likes them and they bolted right in. BUT. The height adjustment stays all the way down. She's a bit over 5 foot and the height adjustment bottomed out is about perfect for her. If she raises it at all, her head is right in the roof. I'm 5'8" and can no longer wear a hat when I drive her car as it will brush the headliner and bug me. I recline the seat a bit and fit well enough that way though I don't prefer to drive that way. I'd estimate the seat and track assembly to raise the seat height about an inch and a half over the older GT's. Some of this I attribute to more cushion in the seat. I was most comfortable with headroom when we had the GT seats, they definitely had less padding. 1 1/2" doesn't sound like much but it can make a WORLD of difference.
I'd geusstimate that the entire SN95 seat assembly should work just fine if the "seat pans" were eliminated. I believe the power tracks have enough travel to make a good variety of sized people comfortable.
Some real hands-on experimentation is in order. Somebody will do it sooner or later. I rather permanently customized my pans and mountings to fit my Mitshubishi/Recaro seats and make darn sure my head did NOT touch the headliner. I'm not about to muck up all that work. So that lets me out. ::

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if you have to remove the electric tracks from the drivers seat, then how will it move? there are no knobs levers, just buttons

1 - 5 of 5 Posts