Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend, I finished getting all the bad metal cut out and ground down the welds and the edges where I cut. Im doing the last bit of stripping down to bare metal and hopefully this weekend, I'll be able to fit the torque boxes and put some sheetmetal screws in place to hold them for welding.
My question is regarding the flange closest to the transmission tunnel on the side that contacts the toeboard. Does this go above or below that angled section of the frame rail. I saw some pictures of a factory DS torque box that laid the flange over the frame rail, but how would it work on the PS? I cant see any provision on the toeboard to take into account the fact that one side of the frame rail would be higher than the other, if I laid that flange on top. How did you all handle that area when installing a PS torque box on a 67 or 68?
Also, when fitting the P/S toe board over the torque box, did you remove the flange that would normally spotweld to the inner rocker and just weld that edge to the TB flange?
It doesn't look like I can use both, so I'd be happy to hear your thoughts.
Here is a pic of a P/S torque box(courtesy of Dodgestang's web page) for reference.
http://www.dodgestang.com/images/box.jpg
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
MM article on project '66

If I understand correctly, I put the TB next to the frame extention. Mine actually had a piece of flat steel that joined the two by being welded to the back of the frame and TB panel. http://bellsouthpwp.net/n/y/nylhtak/morepasspix2/TBin.jpg

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I see what you mean about the plate used to bridge the two panels. Mine didn't come with anything like that (looks exactly the one from Dodgestang's picture up top). I'll have to jam it in there and see where that flange tries to go. Hopefully I'll be test fitting the torque box tomorrow.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I figured I would probably have to split it. I'd heard that about NPD boxes.
I guess I'll just drill out the spotwelds and see how the top portion of the box fits on. I measured it though and it definitely has to go either on top or on bottom.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts