Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok need advice, its one of those "fork in the road" questions here:

I have two complete 76 and 78 302's. The 76 has some very loose rockers and pushrods (able to wiggle them easily, but seem secure). Its supposedly siezed, but I managed to get it turning over again and stuff (PO told me it had bad heads). Anyhow, the 78 I have was supposed to be running, and pulling of valve covers and intake it looks good -- and tight!

Now for the Q : "Can I take the heads, pushrods and rockers from my 78, transplant them to my 76 (currently in the car), using the 78 intake as well, and expect the engine to work?"

I mean the wear will be different and I always hear you guys say to keep the pushrods, rockers, pistons, etc... all organized in terms of where they came from .... I'm wondering if this would work? Or should I just get a rebuild kit and rebuild the better looking 78 and have it dropped in?

TIA
Chris

------------------------------
1969 Mach 1
1976 Cobra II

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
OK....
you have a '76 302 in your car....its problem is...what?

you have a '76 302, supposedly seized, sitting on the ground...

you have a '78 302, supposedly running, sitting on the ground....

you want to take the heads and upper valvetrain and intake from the '78 and put them on the '76 in your car...

How am I doing?

Now for the why?

Unless you witnessed the '78 running and it ran well, I'd be loathe to just stick anything off it onto another engine...

That's a lot of work for an if...

Bottom line, what are you trying to accomplish here?

Sorry about all the questions...enquiring minds...*G*

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Close, let me clarify.

I have a 76 302 in the car, and a 78 302 on the stand, just the two engines.

The 76 is supposed to be dead (so says the PO), testing the rocker arms, they all (90% anyhow) seem quite loose -- I can jiggle them every which way no problems and move pushrods. It also has dried up oil in valve covers and looks pretty rough.

The 78 looks recently used, very clean and the rockers/pushrods are all very tight (maybe one or two that have a very minor amount of play). It was pulled from a running donor car (supposedly) to drop in place of the 76.

At this point I think I'll rebuild the 78 anyhow, ought to be a good experience for me, so I went out and purchased : gasket set, rings, rod and main bearings, water pump, oil pump, 3 pc timing kit. For the cost of rebuilding it myself I figure the wife and I will give it a try.

So now my Q is wheres a good place to locate the torque specs and any suggestions on special lubricants/oils required to rebuild (i.e. for the bearings)?

Sorry for the confusion ... I was going to try and just transplant to get the car going, but I guess doing it half ass will only get me back to rebuilding a little later on anyhow ...

1969 Mach 1
1976 Cobra II

·
Registered
514 Posts
Unless you need the car immediately or are short on cash I would take one of the engines and rebuild it completely. While you have to invest more time and money now, later on you'll be glad you did because you'll only be doing the job once! I've had plenty of engines that people have told me "run great" only to find they are a P.O.S. The only way to know for sure is do it yourself or find a reputable engine builder.

http://216.71.48.244/archive/mikecar.jpg

65 Fastback 289 4spd in storage :-(
91 CRX Si... A.K.A. my go-kart with AC!

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
If you're rebuilding the engine yourself and it's your first, I'd recommend the Chilton's or Hayne's manual for your car in addition to this book on Ford Performance....it's the one I used when building my first race car engine and most of the techniques are still in use today...

There are others....you might want to check Tom Schmidt's link site for more info...

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
If you're going to do it yourself I'd recommend "How to Rebuild Small-Block Ford Engines" by Tom Monroe as a good source if information. You should be able to find it at a local book store, it's HPBooks-89.
Have fun!

Black primer 66 coupe, bench seat, 302, C-4, 3.55 TSD.
879 posts as "66 bench-coupe" on old VMF.
robert94928 on Yahoo Messenger<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by 66benchcoupe on 04/20/01 11:14 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts