Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want to remove some of the play out of my '65 steering. I have replaced everything except the steering box and idler arm, yet there is quite a bit of play in the steering wheel still. I am considering either replacing the steering box and idler arm OR doing a complete rack and pinion switch using something from like Flaming River, etc. So my question is this: which should I do? Leaving it original or going to rack and pinion? I don't require super tight steering or anything, but right now it almost is like driving a boat with all the steering play. I know leaving it original style and only changing the box won't achieve the tightness, but is it that much of a difference? Right now it is manual steering and I plan to leave it that way.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Adjusting a box usually ends up speeding up the wear leading to catastrophic failure. I have an OE quick ratio box and it is pretty tight with newer components under the car. I've read too many good things about @CHOCK to ignore the reputation for satisfaction. When it's time for a rebuild on mine, that's where it's going.

·
Registered
485 Posts
How, exactly, did you adjust it?

You DON'T adjust it using the screw with the locknut on top. That is the over center adjustment.

The adjustment is on the input shaft side of the box and that adjustment as well as the over center require a beam inch pound torque wrench and on some boxes it can require a micrometer. I have done a couple Saginaw boxes and it's not bad once you know what you are doing but if you adjust either of them too tight you can quickly accelerate wear in the box and make it sticky.

Basically it's one of those adjustments that you gotta have the tools and know what you are doing. On most recirculating ball steering boxes you also have an assortment of oversize replacement balls that can be used when needed on worn boxes. If you are familiar with CNC equipment then it's a ball screw with an adjustable sector gear added to it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if people confuse slop for a slow:1 steering ratio :confused:
Its possible.
I myself would describe it as a lack of response to input.
When I can drive down the road, saw the wheel an inch and a half or so in either direction and the car still tracks straight, that''s what I think of when I mean 'slop'.
Like Harvey Korman driving during a skit on the Carol Burnett Show.
Oh crap, Ive dated myself :)

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Pull that box and get it to Chockostang now! He's going on vacation sometime in December, so get it in the mail tomorrow. Call him ahead of time to make arrangements. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
913 Posts
What ratio box do you have? What code is on the steering box tag? (example HCC-AT). One of the best mods that I have done was going from a 19:1 box to a 16:1 box. While it make take a little extra muscle to turn the 16:1 box, the performance gain (no slop and when you turn the wheel to the left, it goes left now) is worth it. I did have Chocko rebuilt my 16:1 box, A++++ experience. If you do go this route, when looking for a 16:1 box, try and find one from a power steering car. From what Chocko or someone has told me, today a 50 plus year old steering box that was in a power steering car, compared to a manual steering car, the internals should be in better shape. Yes, my car with the 16:1 box today is manual steering. Best of luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
By slop I mean lots of play like gears are worn out. I haven't tried filling the box with grease. I was just wanting to replace what is existing with either a new box or go straight over to rack and pinion. The rack and pinon kits do not seem to be all that complex on installing, so that was my original idea

·
Registered
9,876 Posts
Check your idler arm ,personally not a fan of R&P I'd go with a rebuilt 16:1 box if that's not fast enough get a quick steer kit if you can't muscle that go with an EPAS power steering set up

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
I removed the breather and took the end off my grease gun. Stuck it in the hole, pumped it full. Replce the brreather and then work the box block to lock a couple of times to work the grease around. I used a good quality moly grease, do not use wheel bearing grease.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts