Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if people confuse slop for a slow:1 steering ratio :confused:
^^^^ THIS and 14 or 15" old tire sidewall deflection on the rim.

The BEST test. Jack both front tires up, grab the outer of one of the tires and watch the steering wheel. Twist the tire watch the wheel. It should be instant and dramatic. You'll be amazed at the ratio multiplication.
If not, have someone hold the s/wheel firm and it should be easy to pinpoint the fault.

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
^^^^ THIS and 14 or 15" old tire sidewall deflection on the rim.

The BEST test. Jack both front tires up, grab the outer of one of the tires and watch the steering wheel. Twist the tire watch the wheel. It should be instant and dramatic. You'll be amazed at the ratio multiplication.
If not, have someone hold the s/wheel firm and it should be easy to pinpoint the fault.
^ not how to check for play in the steering. Get a person under the car..... with the car sitting on the “ground.” A second person inside turns the steering wheel back and forth about 3” or so. (Not very fast cycles). The person under the car looks for play in all the parts. No play..... then it’s worn box that probably needs a rebuild.

Oh, and buy the way, whomever suggested using slightly oversized ball bearings in a recirculating steering box.... please don’t follow that advice. If you don’t know what you’re doing that can easily lead to a failure inside the box and can lead to the death of you or others.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I'd sure like to know the brand of grease that add metal back on the rack and sector teeth. Please post for all can have this for use in tightening these boxes up.
Exactly how does the grease adhere, "weld" itself to teeth to become hardened, durable, which takes up the wear in the metal?
Fascinating discovery.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'd sure like to know the brand of grease that add metal back on the rack and sector teeth. Please post for all can have this for use in tightening these boxes up.
Exactly how does the grease adhere, "weld" itself to teeth to become hardened, durable, which takes up the wear in the metal?
Fascinating discovery.
Chuckles-
I will say that probably 15 years ago I had about 3” of play in my wheel going straight down the road. I read about the adjustment on the steering box shown in the Cougar video above and did it twice for a total of 1/2” tightening on the box. Also at that time read about adding grease or heavier weight lube/oil - the theory was to take up more of the space between the worn gear teeth. So I tried that also. Both things together made ~33% reduction in the play in my wheel. Several years later I did replace the whole box with a Chockostang rebuilt one and that made it like new again.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Dan, Dan, he's the man! If he can't do it no one can! Call Dan AKA Chockostang. But hurry, as he heads south after Thanksgiving. He has done all of my steering. 100% positive!.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Actually the Boss (Carol) and I will go south Dec 18th. Return March 1st.
Appreciate ya Nailbender!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Actually the Boss (Carol) and I will go south Dec 18th. Return March 1st.
Appreciate ya Nailbender!!!!!!!!!!
Good work is good work. And I knew who the boss was, just trying to be old school polite.

·
Registered
33,886 Posts
I can't believe WCCC simply tightened the sector shaft adjuster not knowing if anybody had touched it before or..... Not a good thing if your box suddenly locks up tight when you're cruising down the street.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Fascinating discovery.
Chock, what kind of grease do you use in your rebuilds ? Thanks

·
Registered
33,886 Posts
Fascinating discovery.
You haven't heard? It's made by the same outfit that makes this....

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Chock, what kind of grease do you use in your rebuilds ? Thanks
I differ from Randy (Stanger). I use a quality grade of High Temp wheel bearing grease. Yes much more expensive than that bottom of the barrel black crap.
Stays stable, will move freely, heat doesn't degrade it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Please keep in mind, Chock does close down for the winter from my understanding. I had plans to send him my steering box too, but don't know if I'll meet his deadline.
They leave around the 18th of December and don't come back until late Feburary?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts