Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read with interest the post about the use of the American Flag.

Is it true that at events such as the Olympic Games(and others ) when the teams pass the saluting point the US is the only team that doesn't dip their flag ?
If so why ?

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Cause we have lots of nuclear weapons!!!!!!!!!! We rule!!!

LMAO!!

·
7,079 Posts
I can't tell you about what other countries do...but dipping the United States Flag to anything or anyone is illegal by our Federal Code. In particular:

United States Code Title 36, Chapter 10 §176.
Respect for flag

No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.

So, the question is...why do OTHER countries allow their flags to be dipped?

Phil

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
It is true that we don't dip our flag at the saluting point and the reason is that it's against U.S. law. The relevant paragraphs are (c), (e), and (g). These laws, IIRC, have their roots in the American Revolution and the prinicple that, as a free people, we will be subservient to no one.

I'm fairly certain, however, that we are not alone in this. I think the old Soviet Union and The Peoples Republic of China do not dip their flags, either, but I could be wrong about that.

·
Registered
553 Posts
i've 'dipped my flag' a few times and man it brought me nothin' but trouble! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif it's even worse when i wear my stars and stripes boxers /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

what were we talking about again?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts