Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I've run into a restomod nightmare.

1965 Mustang, on which the PO installed a Flaming River manual rack and pinion/steering column. I'm now in the process of changing to a newer model bell housing and cable clutch mated to a Tremec tranny. Current long-tube headers interfered with the cable clutch conversion, and I planned to swap in a aset of shorties for ground clearance anyway...

But that column/rack are right in the frickin' way of everything. The long tube headers on there now have been cut, bent and re-welded with the steering rod passing through the middle of them. I'd hoped a set of Hedman shorties would clear everything. No dice, the collector sits right smack in the way of the steering.

Are there headers available that will clear the steering AND allow a cable clutch conversion? This is driving me bananas.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,607 Posts
Search on "+FLAMING+RIVER+RACK"....

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did a search and saw that no one on the site would touch the FR rack, but since I'm stuck with it for now I was hoping someone knew of a stop gap solution...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In case anyone cares, I made a call to Flaming River.

They now sell "rear-dump" headers that will work with their rack. Made by Sanderson. They want $599 for a set of ceramic coated ones. I said that's more than I wanted to spend, so he gave me the direct number for Sanderson.

They had a set of unfinished ones in stock for overnight delivery @ $275 + shipping. They're on the way, so I'll be able to report on the fit by Friday.

Hopefully Odin is feeling merciful towards me this week.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Since, someone had already modified the header to go around the steering, your other option may have been to consider a hydralic clutch instead of a cable.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Odin must be in a foul mood since the headers FR claimed would clear their column/rack are farther from being able to work than the Hedman shorties.

I may have to switch back to a set of factory manifolds. How much of a performance loss should I expect between headers and some Hi-Po manifolds?

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
BaronVonAutomatic said:
Odin must be in a foul mood since the headers FR claimed would clear their column/rack are farther from being able to work than the Hedman shorties.

I may have to switch back to a set of factory manifolds. How much of a performance loss should I expect between headers and some Hi-Po manifolds?
Now you know what the kollektiv VMF found out the hard way...FR is a bunch of lying bastards. :/

Depends on the motor specs, but you will definitely notice the difference. What about buying an FR steering box and selling the R&P to some poor schlub on ebay? Problem solved! :roflao:

:swing: (OK just had to use that one in an FR post...hehehe)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I can help you. Maybe if you are real nice I might even send you some photos.
We just did one of these in our shop and can supply correct headers.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alex, I'd like to take you up on that photo offer if you wouldn't mind. The folks at Sanderson are working with me on this and I think we're on the right track, but another option would be nice.

Sanderson sent me a different left side header to try. It clears the steering shaft/rack, but is all over the shock tower even with the engine mounts removed and the engine pushed as far as it will go to the right. A mirrored copy of the right side header would be perfect - it dumps almost straight back - except the spark plug angle on the left side won't allow it.

So, they're going to get with the fab guy and see about bending up a block hugger like the first set except with the collector angled out 45 degrees to clear everything.

It's frustrating being the guinea pig, but once we get it licked there will be a readily available option for everyone else with the FR rack and pinion. You're welcome!

·
Registered
182 Posts
People cry about the TCP manual rack kit being too expensive, but you can run any header and clutch actuation on the face of the earth. It fits and works perfectly. You get what you pay for!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
gotstang said:
Now you know what the kollektiv VMF found out the hard way...FR is a bunch of lying bastards. :/

:swing:
+1,000 (ask me how I know...)

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
reenmachine said:
People cry about the TCP manual rack kit being too expensive, but you can run any header and clutch actuation on the face of the earth. It fits and works perfectly. You get what you pay for!
Would you say the same thing about TCP's power rack?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
reenmachine said:
Well, the car had the FR rack when I bought it. If it were my call I would have just gone with a quick ratio box and left it at that. But you play with the cards you're dealt.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All hail Cthulhu! There is now a header that fits. Jay at Sanderson headers took a set of their FF6 block-huggers and turned out the collector ~55*, then tacked it togther and sent to me for test fitting. No interference with the steering rod and it will keep exhaust heat well away from the clutch cable.

Allow me to pimp Sanderson Headers yet again. They've been super helpful, patient, and went out of their way to ensure I'm getting a header that will fit. A great end product and they work with you to get it right for your application.

Woohoo!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Hey can you post some pictures???

I am looking into purchasing some new headers but I need it to clear my cable clutch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts