Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual steering on my car required me to hit the gym for two months - performing bicep curls - to turn the steering wheel on my '65 FB. I was reading the most recent Mustang Monthly and it had a blurb on the Flaming River rack & pinion system and also had a "how-to-do-it" section on how to install it. Has anyone tried this yet? Is it worth going with this, or just tyring to run a whole new power steering system in the car? Thanks
---By the way - thank the lord for college football

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I would tell you but I wouldn't want to repete (sic) myself ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ah hah! thanks.

G

·
0 Posts
Do a search on Randallsrack.Very nice guy with a 1 man operation. He e-mailed me almost immediately and was very knowledgeable on mustangs. Not the case with FR.I could spend hours spewing complaints about them.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
The scrub radius is important how heavy the steering feels. If you have as little backspacing as possible at front the steering will feel heavy. If you would get ball joints inside the wheel at the wheel centerline, you wouldn't need power assisted steering at all. But if we are stuck with standard Mustang knuckle at least let's have as much backspacing as possible.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I must be a glutton for punishment but here goes...

I started an earlier thread a few weeks ago saying positive things about Flaming River and took some pretty good heat about it. Not being one who gives up easily, I kept the pressure on Flaming River (many phone calls and emails) and they kept working with me.

I just returned from an extended test drive and photo shoot of the installation and I can report that at this point I am pleased with how the car feels and drives.

There are some early photos posted at:
Mustang Rack Photos

I will post some updated photos later this weekend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts