Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to get my facts straight during my conversations with flaming river about my rack and pinion fitment problems. All of their comments on customer satisfaction and how successful installations have been completely positive. The threads on VMF on this topic (including mine) are horror stories. Please chime in if you have tried the Flaming River RnP and let me know if you were successful with the install. A bonus question is how many cradles and racks were shipped to you and did you need to try the third u-joint trick?

my response..

I have not been successful with the install yet. I have been shipped three cradles and two racks thus far. I think that cradle number four and rack number three are in the mail right now. It looks like I will need the third u-joint not for any header issues, but because the clutch Z-bar is directly in the path between the rack and steering column.

-Dan

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I have been successful on my second setup from F&R, although I switched from Hedman long tube headers to JBA shorties. Also, I "elongated" the rack mounting holes in the cradle to slide it over towards the driver's side frame rail an addition 1/2 inch. I am using only the 2-joint setup....

my setup in my 65 fastback is covered at my website (351W, TFS heads, Canton pan, JBA shorty headers)......

randy

·
Registered
280 Posts
Been there, done this several times. You can find my lengthy messages by doing a search. I received a new rack from Speeddirect today. It looks much better than the FR unit.

Best of Luck,

Brian

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm waiting for my second rack and cradle to come in. I have no headers, pretty much stock but my rack was a couple inches too short to reach the tie rods. I *so* regret getting this thing but am kinda stuck with it at this point...

·
Registered
648 Posts
Mine went fit perfectly the first time, even with a 351w, Tremec, and long tube Hedmans. I love it.

What's all the fuss about . . .

Oh, you asked about the Flaming River R&P. I have the TCP R&P.

Sorry. I have been keeping up the the FR sagas, and I just could not keep this little dig to myself any longer ;)

Randy

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Do a search here for my experiences. Start your search in January and search thru June.

I gave up after my second attempt. I ended up exchanging the rack for a gear, but had to fight to get the difference in price refunded to me. Good Luck, Jeff

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same experience as RobUASF. R&P went in without too much fuss, but was about 1" shy of reaching the outer tie rod ends on each side.

I had no problem dealing with customer service, as they are aware of the problem. However, I sent my rack back to FR on 7/21. According to FR, my replacement R&P was sent on 8/6. I have yet to receive anything. My mustang has been up on ramps since the first week of July awaiting this "easy install."

Seems the engineering was done on a 64.5 - 66 car; guess they didn't realize the body dimensions grew on the 67+. :p

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cradle number 5 just arrived.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts