Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On shakedown cruise my '65 fb was too scary steering wise and so I decided to buy a new Flaming River steering box. I called FR and asked, "Are your '65/'66 boxes fully assembled or are they supplied in two pieces?" What I had in mind was to put my ride on jackstands, cut out the old gearbox with a sawsall, thereby dividing it into two pieces, gearbox and shaft, and make the job simple. The answer I got from FR was, "They come in two pieces!" Okay I order the new box, head out to the garage...disassemble the minimum I have to and saw the shaft off the box. This went real quick and hence taking the old box out was a breeze.

Five days later the UPS truck arrives and my wife calls to say, "It's here! Are you going to install it this evening?" "Yes dear, that's the plan!", I answered.

Get home and there's this long box. Yes, on opening it guess what? You guessed it! Box and shaft are assembled as one unit. FR set me aflame! I read the instructions and realized there was no way I could follow them since the car was only jackstand height off the floor and the instructions say to install it from the bottom. I mean who has a hoist or four point lift in their garage? Now what? After fretting around and calling my Mustang buddies to ask for advice, I decided to read the shop manual. Ford says to install it from the top so I considered it. Let's see, if I remove the air cleaner, valve covers, headers, body brace, monte carlo bar, clutch linkage, air conditioning hoses...I've got a chance of getting it in...I guess its worth a try. Yes, it fits in from the top but not without a lot of sweat in a 90 degree garage. It was approaching midnight when I decided to break from it. I'll finish it up tonight. I'm sleepy today...Aah, the joys of being a classic Mustang owner!

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
They sell the boxes either way, but I don't think they supply the shaft if it's the short shaft model. I'd have to double-check that to be sure though.

FR1497 is the long-shaft model
FR1497-1 has a 1" shaft. Unless you got very lucky and cut your shaft in just the right place you'd have to get a new shaft to go with it though.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Since I'm forever in the midst of a search for better steering, please let us know how much of a difference it makes once you get it in.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Check my website. I've a few pics of trying to take out/install the darned thing! I attacked the problem from below. I have a one piece model too.

I had to "bump up" the engine on one side an inch or so, to provide clearance. The most difficult part for me was snaking the new part back in; I tried for a couple of hours before asking a friend to help. One minute later, the steering box was installed. Took him longer to pop the top of his beer!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts