Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1966 mustang coupe
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i have a steering wheel in my coupe that i would like to replace with a flat/small dish one :

This is mine, i really like it but unfortunately i am pretty small and i had to move my seat a bit foward with my 5 speed swap to have access to the full travel of my clutch pedal :)

So now, the steering is too close from me, its driveable but less than ideal...

I would tend to go with a smaller diameter one also, like 13.5 or 13.75, and flat or small dish.

What are my options since i know most aftermarket hubs will offset that flat or small dish?

I am not set on woodgrain, it could even be a kind of pro touring wheel but definately something that looks great in the 1966 coupe interior.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Unless you have power steering that small wheel will be hard ( as in extremely )on the arms until that car is rolling

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Drz, I had a Grant steering wheel that was almost flat, three spokes, about 14 inches, nice wood rim. It was in my '70. I USED TO have the box the Grant wheel came in, I'll look. I remember I had to do some serious searching to get a flat one. There were hundreds of deep dish wheels, which, like your situation, I didn't want. LSG

·
Registered
65 Posts
65 FB with a Grant (are we allowed to like those??) for visual reference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Dimples
5,564 Posts
I would think most aftermarket wheels would fit the size/dish requirements you’re after. I’m happy with my Forever Sharp wheel, which is definitely smaller/flatter than stock.

65 FB with a Grant (are we allowed to like those??)
Sure you are, but I sure don’t.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would think most aftermarket wheels would fit the size/dish requirements you’re after. I’m happy with my Forever Sharp wheel, which is definitely smaller/flatter than stock.

View attachment 784349

Haha. Came with the car. Looks good to me, functions as it should, and there are WAY more pressing issues to spend $$$ for my car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,637 Posts
65 FB with a Grant (are we allowed to like those??)
Sure, some Grant wheels and hubs are nice. Their base hub though, the same one that's been on the market virtually unchanged since at least the early '70's, that one is crap, and has even been known to start electrical fires. You could look it up. It's the one with either the plain black or plain chrome center horn button.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Moto-Lita are certainly flatter than stock, even with hub. Mine is 15", but 14" is available. The Shelby 6 bolt style like mine do not have horn function, 9 bolt do.

·
Premium Member
6,637 Posts
Moto-Lita are certainly flatter than stock, even with hub.
How deep/thick is that hub? The "Shorty" hub/adapter I have in mine is only 1/2" thick to the wheel bolting surface. I know that there are a few 1.25" three bolt adapters out there but not sure if they work with Ford columns, for GM style mostly I think. Most adapters for flat or shallow depth wheels are either 2 or 2.5" deep, bringing the wheel rim right back to near whatever was stock.

·
Registered
1966 mustang coupe
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sure, some Grant wheels and hubs are nice. Their base hub though, the same one that's been on the market virtually unchanged since at least the early '70's, that one is crap, and has even been known to start electrical fires. You could look it up. It's the one with either the plain black or plain chrome center horn button.
Talking about hubs, what do you guys use?

Is there some low profile ones availlable?

·
Premium Member
6,637 Posts
Talking about hubs, what do you guys use? Are there some low profile ones available?
I have a 9 bolt "Shorty" hub adapter from Ididit, only 1/2" thick to the steering wheel mounting surface, two inches shorter than stock. I don't know if that would work on a Ford column though, probably not. I have a GM style Ididit tilt column.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
How deep/thick is that hub? The "Shorty" hub/adapter I have in mine is only 1/2" thick to the wheel bolting surface. I know that there are a few 1.25" three bolt adapters out there but not sure if they work with Ford columns, for GM style mostly I think. Most adapters for flat or shallow depth wheels are either 2 or 2.5" deep, bringing the wheel rim right back to near whatever was stock.
The adapter is indeed in the neighborhood of 2 1/2" thick as it is this one: 1965 Shelby & Cobra Splined Aluminum Hub

The dish on the wheel is probably on the order of 1" deep. Let's say it is 1 1/2". That would make the whole assembly 4" thick. That is a good 2" less than a stock wheel. I can assure you that the Moto-Lita wheel with adapter is a good couple inches further away than the stock wheel. I actually considered sourcing a spacer to get my steering wheel closer to me. As it stands, it would accomplish, to a degree, what the the OP is looking for.

If the OP is interested, I would be happy to measure the Moto-Lita + boss and compare it to the stock wheel dish.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have the opposite problem in that I am tall and the big diameter wheel doesn't give me leg room. Went for the Lecara style but with leather wrapping and it's 14" vs 15" with very little "dish". It uses a 9 bolt hub and fits easily onto the stock column.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
The adapter is indeed in the neighborhood of 2 1/2" thick as it is this one: 1965 Shelby & Cobra Splined Aluminum Hub

The dish on the wheel is probably on the order of 1" deep. Let's say it is 1 1/2". That would make the whole assembly 4" thick. That is a good 2" less than a stock wheel. I can assure your that the Moto-Lita wheel with adapter is a good couple inches further away than the stock wheel. I actually considered sourcing a spacer to get my steering wheel closer to me. As it stands, it would accomplish, to a degree, what the the OP is looking for.

If the OP is interested, I would be happy to measure the Moto-Lita + boss and compare it to the stock wheel dish.
The adapter is 2" deep. I got mine from Mustangs Unlimited but the same people manufactured those for Branda.
I ran the regular 6 bolt "Motolita" 3-spoke Shelby wheel..... It was somewhere around 1 1/2" deep. The rim was at least 2 inches closer to the dash.
(The turn signal stalk had to be bent around 15-degrees, that's how close the rim was to it)
I wound up having a 3/4" spacer machined out of T6 to bring the wheel back some toward me. It ended up in the perfect place for the track.....

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

Reactions: 66coupe289

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
The adapter is 2" deep. I got mine from Mustangs Unlimited but the same people manufactured those for Branda.
I ran the regular 6 bolt "Motolita" 3-spoke Shelby wheel..... It was somewhere around 1 1/2" deep. The rim was at least 2 inches closer to the dash.
(The turn signal stalk had to be bent around 15-degrees, that's how close the rim was to it)
I wound up having a 3/4" spacer machined out of T6 to bring the wheel back some toward me. It ended up in the perfect place for the track.....

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

View attachment 784360
View attachment 784361
Nice adapter! I wish someone mass produced those. As I am sure you know, as you move the wheel closer to the dash it also moves down, making it a bit tight between the wheel and the seat for a 15" wheel. Another benefit of the spacer would be to eliminate the need to bend the turn signal arm...granted, not a concern for a track car. :)

·
Registered
1966 mustang coupe
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

View attachment 784349

I am looking at those steering wheels too.

Did you use their hub adapter as well?

·
Registered
2,015 Posts

I opted for the 14" "GT-350" style wheel that CJs sells...was on sale at the time, but I like it. A lot will end up depending on the hub you get with it though.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts