Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The balancing weight on my flexplate is rubbing against the inspection cover where the starter bolts to the bell housing.
History - engine installed last weekend. Transmission installed last night. Everything bolted up fine on the first try. All bolts when in finger tight without a wrench. When I went to bolt the flexplate to the torque converter, I noticed the balancing weight rubbing against the inspection cover only where the starter bolts to the flywheel.
Tonight - pulled the tranny, pulled the flexplate, re-installed the flexplate and the tranny, bolt everything up and it still hits in the same spot. I have re-seated the torque converter to insure it's correct and checked eveything I could think of.
The engine is a fresh rebuild, but I had to get a new block. I installed the flexplate, and then the spacer/washer and torqued to specs. Prio to installing the second time, I measured with a straight edge across the bellhousing, I have 1/8" clearance to the snout of the converter and 1/4" to the tip of the torque converter bolts. The car is a 289, 2bbl, C4.
I don't have the original engine cating #'s, but the new one ie
E7TE
5S
9H28
Could there be a difference in the flexplates needed for these blocks? Any other ideas? Sorry for the lengthy question.

TIA
John

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
E7 is a 87 date code on the block and has nothing to do with a 289 !

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you did not say if you had reistalled the block plate between the engine and trans?This mght give you the clearance you are looking for .It doesnt matter the year of the block/trans as long as you have this plate in place.Just a thought.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts