Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm just bolted up my C4 to a 65 289. I had the engine rebuilt and I bought a rebuilt 68 C4. The flexplate is the original one I took off. I made sure the converter was set properly and the tranny slide into place without any trouble. Now when I rotate the engine the balance weight on the flexplate hits the starter gear. I'm sure the balance weight side of the converter faces the engine. What did I do wrong?
Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I need to unbolt the tranny move it back and line up the plug wit a hole in the flex palte? There are 2 plugs in the converter, should both be lined up with a hole in the flexplate?

·
Registered
12 Posts
So I need to unbolt the tranny move it back and line up the plug wit a hole in the flex palte? There are 2 plugs in the converter, should both be lined up with a hole in the flexplate?
If I remember correctly, there are 2 (total) on opposite sides of the converter. These have to be lined up with 2 of the holes in the flex plate. I'm pretty sure it is possible to get one behind the weight. Seems like I made that mistake in my younger days. If you can see 1 of them and the other lines up behind the weight, then you've found your problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts