Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't got my car on the road yet but, I purchased a flip down gas cap from Mustangs Unlimited and I see where it says "DO NOT use as a regular gas cap, for show only!" For as much as these things are worth it better not leak! Has anyone had any problems with them? I don't want gas all over my new paint job.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
There's a good chance that it will leak unless you use the twist-on cap underneath the flip-open. My first repro pop-open leaked when starting from a stop or when going up a steep hill when the gas tank was full or nearly so. My second one came with the twist on cap to use under the pop-open section and I've had no issues with it.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not so sure there is enough room under my car for a twist on. It there is I wouldn't have any problem using one. It has a spring loaded piece with a cork gasket, I would think that would do the trick. Was that a 69 car?

·
Registered
110 Posts
they should inform you of that before purchase...that blows

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
You can remove the spring and cork assembly. It's the hinge spring that causes the pop-open to work anyway. The spring and cork are just to press up against the filler neck for a seal.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what I'll do then. You would think for a $130 they would make them so they wouldn't leak. Good thing I didn't pay that, think at the time I paid $65 for it. Anyway thanks guy's!

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I'm pretty sure that was just a liability disclaimer. The original flip-down caps also leaked if the tank was overfull (but then, so did the filler neck hose once it got old). I think there's some kind of federal regulation against this type of gas cap, so the vendor puts a disclaimer on it (just like those "off-road" exhaust systems). I've got a flip-down on my Shelby. I just never fill the tank to the brim.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Like 68Rcode said, I don't fill my tank up, just enough to get it to 3/4 and I have an original cap, I wonder if the original ones are govt restricted in any way.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like 68Rcode said, I don't fill my tank up, just enough to get it to 3/4 and I have an original cap, I wonder if the original ones are govt restricted in any way.
Heck, I bet the whole gas tank in the trunk is govt restricted now days!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts