Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive screwed this up.

The lock screw for the primary float adjustment came all the way out.

I tried to replace it where I thought it should be.

The car will not start.

When I crack the lock screw I get a good stream of fuel.

Im guessing the float is all the way up.

How do I fix this.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What I need to know is how I should set the initial adjustment.
Im thinking the float level 1/2 way to the top of the adjusting nut, then I can go up or down from there.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I got it.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
There should be caps on one side of the bowls. If you can get the engine running do that, then shut it down, Remove the caps. if fuel drips out, adjust the floats down. If it's dry, adjust up.
Repeat until no more fuel is dripping out the sides of the bowls. When the engine is running, the fuel level should be even with the bottoms of the holes on the sides of the bowls (at least that's how it is on the Holley)... Kinda like filling a manual tranny except you don't need to run the car to fill the tranny.

·
Registered
383 Posts
If its Holley the nut raises and lowers the float The screw locks it in place and has a gasket under it to prevent leaking. You put a wrench on the nut and a screwdriver on the screw at the same time. Break loose the screw just a little, Then move the screw and the nut at the same time until you get the correct float level. Then tighten the screw. The screw is never opened much more than a half of a turn from the nut so you can quickly stop the leak by tightening the screw.

Holley factory float adjustment Video. These are all excellent videos.

Air fuel adjustment. Your going to need this one too. I use the propane enrichment testto set the final mixture just a little rich.

Accelerator Pump Adjustments. Choosing Power valve. Main Jets.

Power valve selection.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts