Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... i took out the 66 today and i felt my steering get kinda lose. like really lose. there isn't any tension in the steering wheel. I have power steering and i am wondering is it th control valve that needs to be rebuilt or is this just inherent on all older mustangs... i just got the car and the guy said to me that i needed to change the ball inside the control valve. Would that tighten things up?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I had(ok still have) a 68 Ranchero that the seller told me had manual steering. I was so excited about the car I didn't pay any attention to that stuff at the time. Turns out that he had just removed the pump and hoses for the power steering. I found this out when I was making a tight turn in a fast food place and heard something snap and the steering wheel got real loose. Got the car home with careful driving while having about 1/2 turn of play in the steering and found out that the control valve I didn't know I had had broken.
So if that sounds like what you have then yes. You can tell by looking at the control valve while someone else turns the steering wheel.
hope that this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts