Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In using my $59 Chinese-made Harbor Freight 3-ton floor jack, I noted that a good deal of fluid is now coming out from around the piston (the piston that pumps up n down into the jack body, attached to the handle pivot)and dripping onto the shop floor. I am assuming that a seal has ruptured. Can these things be replaced/rebuilt, or is it not worth the trouble?

TIA

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
If the shaft is bent or worn then it will not be worth fixing. My guess is the jack has seen an overload which may have just damage the seal or harmed the shaft.

I have never tried to rebuild one only because the cost of a new on is pretty cheap. Not worth the trouble in my book.

If you wish to repair it then tear it apart and get the old McMaster catalog out. I am sure you can find seals some where for the jack. The jack is bad anyways and there is only one way to learn.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Buy a new one.
Do you really want to pick your car up and put on in stands with a jack that may or my not continue to work.
Throw it out.

·
7,061 Posts
http://graphics.samsclub.com/images/products/0079826301219_LG.jpg

I bought one of these at sams for less than $60 several months ago and am very pleased with it. The one pump up feature was worth more than the price of the jack. It lifts to 22" which is more than most jacks.

Phil

·
Registered
971 Posts
Thats a pretty good deal but I also know that many of the parts stores have specials on there floor jacks.
I bought mine at N.A.P.A and it wasn't much more than your.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts