Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here it is. I have a 65 coupe that the previous owner replaced only 1/2 the floor pan on the drivers side, leaving the old rusted pan under it. Looks like Shi-- from underneath. What I need to know is, in the Dallas Texas area, what would it cost in labor to get the drivers side pan and seat riser replaced? I know what the parts cost so labor cost is the biggy. I can do a lot of things with my car but welding is NOT one of them. Can anyone recommend a good person to do this for me and any general idea of the cost? PM me if you can help or email me direct, [email protected] Thanks Lots

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
go get a wire feed welder with argon gas 3 to 4 hundred for them get some metal and practice it's not hard to do.
you can button weld it or but weld it your pick. the cost of the pans and the labor to put them in by the pro's will still be more then you will have in the welder and pans and all the stuff that goes with it. I never welded before either but i dove right in and cut the old pans out then there was no going back trust me you can do it and you then got bragging rights :: ::
there are pleaty of guys here including myself that will help you through it
chris

·
Registered
491 Posts
i agree just buy a flux core mig welder from harborfreighttools.com and do it yourself. it isnt rockect science by any means. the first time i used a welder was on the floor pans in my 66 coupe. its easy.
good luck

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I myself would rather use argon gas the flux the argon makes for a better shield. less looking valcano welds always remeber grind down the metel your welding to it will stick better. and do not use a wire wheel in replacement to a metal grinder blade the wirewheel will just polish the rust and you weld will not stick
chris

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well guys, I find it interesting that my question about finding a shop or person to replace my floor pan turns into a discussion about which welder works best. If no one knows of a shop or individual in the Dallas area that can replace a floor pan then no problem. I did not ask what is the best welder to use.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
sorry bud don't get all bent out of shape. i was just trying to save you some cash and learn how to weld since that the easiest thing to weld on these cars
so what you need is a directory of shops that do mustang repairs. sorry can't help you there either i did all the work to mine myself
best regards
chris

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Thre are several choces in the DFW area. Southwest Mustangs, Advantage Autoworks, or where I am getting mine painted, Concourse Auto Restoration Services. David is a great guy and will treat you very well.

CARS 214-577-4379.

Keep in mind that these things can get out of hand in a hurry. I started cleaning up the underside of mine and wanted to replace a 1 botched floor pan. I spent the weekend soda blasting in the garage. Now I just have to figure out how I am going to get 500lbs of baking soda out of all the nooks and cranies or the garage. Then I still have to paint the underside before David can have it.

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts