Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, So I decided not to cut a 10 inch hole in the seat platforms to have easy access for rust control. I had to do something though. I've been a sailor for over 27 years and I hate rust! So I took the advise of fellow VMF'rs and sprayed rust converter in the void.

Here's how I did it. I used a compressed air engine cleaner, and put the pickup tube in a jar of rust-seal #39308. I sprayed the liquid in a 360 deg arc at 50 psi in all four access holes from the bottom of the floor pan underneath the car. I used half a pint, but because the compressed air atomized the liquid so finely I am sure it covered all of the surface.

Lessons learned:

- lay something down on the garage floor if you are concerned about cosmetics.
- Cover the bolt holes in the passenger compartment, or cover the headliner and dash. Fortunately I have the entire interior gutted so the resultant spewage was not too much of a concern for me.
- Wear breathing protection, since the spray is so fine.

Thanks you tangdar, hoosierbuddy, ember66, and others for keeping me from having my first DUFUS on this project. I had to put the painting off for this weekend, but I think the job is being done right. There is not one spec of rust on any part of the car, just por-15, primer, and shiny metal. I pray that the dry weather holds up until next weekend so I don't get surface rust. Thanks again fellas.
Dave

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Even sandblasting doesn't remove rust from all the metal, so hold your breath, rust is like cancer, good luck !!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts