Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that have replaced your floor pans. Can you give me an estimate on how many hours it takes. 50 hours?, 100 hours. I am thinking of doing some patch work or full replacement, but I will need to store the Boss somewhere, so that I have access to a working area, the garage. So I will need to give an eta, on how long I will need to store the Boss.

Thanks again,

Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
I did mine in, I would say..... 6 hours total. That includes: stripping the interior, cutting out the old pans, and welding in the new. Then of course you have to coat the floor pans with rust preventative. Then I guess you need to add another couple hours for putting the intererior back in...... Oh yeah, I also made my seat platforms, so I could adjust the height of the seat..... I figured out where I wanted my head to be when I was in the seat and welded the new platform in.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I did mine in about 8. You'll spend more time on the cutting and fitting than anything else. When I got my floorpans they were in four peices. About a year later they came out with the full pans. The only thing left to do is fix the seat risers and put them back in. I should have the pictures of the completed job up by this weekend.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
First, some assumptions -
You have all the tools already (saw, chisel, drill, welder, etc...)
You have measuring devices and jack stands.
You have a level area to work.
You can save time by taking everything out of the interior and dropping the drivers seat back in.
Measure twice, cut once. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Now, how long does it take to cut out the sheetmetal and weld in the new stuff? If it's *just* floors then a day (6-10 hours) is a good estimate. Take it in steps and plan out what you're going to do. If you're going to paint/rustproof/seal the hidden metal make sure you leave drying time in there! If you're going to do frame rails/ torque boxes and this is your first time, triple the amount of time you estimate.
Best of luck,
Doug

G

·
0 Posts
I agree with all the above, if you hustle, 8-10 hrs. One precaution, if using a sawzall, watch out for the Brake cable under the passenger area. Not good to cut brake cable........Top

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the response for measuring tools. What specifically do you need. Square, tape measure, level, I have all of that plus the grinder, welder, saw's. etc. I think I have all tools needed for this job. If I needed to go one step further and replace the rear frame rail. How difficult is it to replcace the rails.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts