Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to put my 66 coupe (200 cid) in the body shop to have the rear frame rails and trunk area replaced. I know I have some small holes in the floor under the rear seat and the drivers side seat platform has rusted and broken loose (currently held in place with nuts and bolts).

I was planning to just have a new seat platform spot welded in place when the rear frame rails are replaced, how much more in labor costs do you think it would take to do the entire floorpan while the guy's at it. I want to order all the parts ahead of time and money is fairly tight. If I'm looking at an additional $500 in labor, I'd do it, if it's going to be and extra $1500 I'd have to think hard about it.

As always, thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
a body shop once quoted me $5000 to do floors and rear quarters. I bought a welder and did it my self for a LOT less. I still have yet to do the quarters though.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Ask the shop that is doing the work for you. He may work out a "package price" for the entire job including the pans. I could see a price range for labor between $500 and $1500 though, depending on the shop. At $40-50/hr shop rates, $1500 would seem kindof high for a 12-15 hour pan replacement. I spent close to 25-30 hours replacing the drivers side full length pan, but I think a good body shop could do it better and faster than I did. I had some time in removal/reinstall of the seat pedestal too.

Whatever you decide to do, a bolted in seat pedestal is bad news. It needs to be welded in as its a vital part of the unibody stress transfer between the floor tunnel, rocker rails and the front/rear subframes. A loose pedestal will comprimise the integrity of the unibody. The seat pedestal is basically a "subframe" since it essentially bridges the gap between the front and rear subframes, from the topside.

At minimum, get a new pedestal and have it welded in. The body shop may be able to use a POR patch or a small welded patch in the floor pan to get you by for a while.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I would suggest getting yourself a cheap welder and learning how to do it yourself. I bought a $200 dollar welder and taught myself how to replace floors. It took a lot of time but if I ever buy another stang that needs floors I know exactly what I'm doing. Chances are you'll enjoy the experience and save a buttload of money. All it takes is some extra time. Good Luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts