Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching this video of floor pan replacement.
It looks like the guy cut the old floor pan out, left about 1/2" of old metal on the transmission tunnel to weld to (16:14 in the video and photo 1)/ My question is, does that 1/2" of old metal on the transmission tunnel need to be flanged, then lay in the floor pan, and weld up the resulting flanged over lap?

OR - is this guy just lap welding the floor pan to the transmission tunnel with a 1/2" overlap (no flange) and toe board as well. 10:19 in this video
and photo 2 and 3. Then he'll go under the car and seam seal the overlap?

I seem to remember an autobody shop saying they preferred to flange, then drop in the floor pan to do the lap weld.

Is it preference or is one more correct? Are both methods just as good structurally?

Thanks in advance. Reading and learning before I decide which way to tackle the floors.

floor weld photo 1.png
floor weld photo 2.png
floor weld photo 3.png

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now that I look at the last photo, where the hole in the corner is located, It seems the pan is dropped over the 1/2" of old transmission tunnel and just lap welded to the trans tunnel.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts