Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of replaceing floors in my 71 Mach 1. I have never done this before and I have never welded before. I just removed what was left of the old floor pan by drilling spot welds and using a cutoff wheel along the tranny hump.

The replacement full length pan goes farther forward than the original pans into the toe board. Can I get a toe board for my car? Mine is rusted. Should I trim at the original toe board line and simulate spot welds there, or leave the extension and weld as high as possible on the toe board?

I also need metal for under the rear seat where the exhaust heat has caused it to rust. Where can I get that metal for a 71?

When using a MIG welder to put the pans in do I need to make sure all the undercarriage grease is cleaned away to avoid a fire, or will the MIG run cool enough? Where do I find the "weld-through" primer and what exactly does it do? Should I have the entire rocker panel and floor pan where they will be welded primed with weld-through before welding?

Anyone who can point me to good, experienced information I would love to hear from you.

Thanks,
Kcmash

kcmash
71 Mach1 Grabber Blue
97 Cobra Convertible

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
When using a MIG welder to put the pans in do I need to make sure all the undercarriage grease is cleaned away to avoid a fire, or will the MIG run cool enough? Where do I find the "weld-through" primer and what exactly does it do? Should I have the entire rocker panel and floor pan where they will be welded primed with weld-through before welding?

Never attempt to try to weld metal that is rusty, dirty, greasy, painted or is galvanized. Always weld metal that is clean and shiny. Weld-thru primer should be used when two pieces of metal are lapped or one is welded on top of the other. Weld thru primer is avalable at almost all body shop supply houses or parts stores that mix paint.... I think Eastwood sells this product also.

Required tools for operating a Vintage Mustang:
1. Duct Tape
2. J.B. Weld
3. B.F.H. (Big Fat Hammer)
4. VINTAGE MUSTANG FORUMS II
(Power is cheap, reliability costs money!)

G

·
0 Posts
As far as tar, grease etc. catching fire...yes it can so if there's a lot of it keep this in mind. It will also smoke and cause poor beads.
I don't know if you can get toe boards or under the seat replacement panels. If not you could source some from a rust free wreck but it's a lot of work getting them out so you can reuse them. It may be easier to buy some sheet metal and fabricate some patch panels. This can take a lot of time though.
If I recall, I think my full pans came with a rounded corner up front and they went up the toe board a bit. I couldn't get the thing to fit until I cut the corner out. Then I decided to cut it flush like it was stock. It seemed to fit a lot better that way. You can use sheet metal screws to suck the panel into position before welding it in.
Weld thru primer I believe is zinc and will kind of form a galvanized coating under the extreme heat of welding. It's a way to protect a joint which is being welded. It can cause problems though if it's painted on too thick so if your getting a lot of spatter it could be that.
If your just learning to weld, you can search for WELD on the old forum and you'll get a bunch of info. Even on this new forum which has a much better search engine. Check out this post for one:

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/forums/showthreaded.pl?Cat=1&Board=forum&Number=55686&Search=true&Forum=forum&Words=adrien.&Match=Entire Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=55365

Adrien.

65 GT Coupe, dismantled waiting for resto.
67 Restomod Coupe, in assy.
69 Mach 1, SWMBO say don't take it apart!
91 5.0 LX HB, driver.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1594363&a=12146434&p=44060413.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Laurel Mtn has the toe boards, on my 67 the upper part didn't seem to line up very well. Cut it off at the upper bend, and it fit well. I Cut the Lower bend of the toe board, and front bend of the floorpan and formed a butt joint there.

http://members.tripod.com/tangdar/
'67 Coupe project car (Did I say project car? I meant pile of rust)
http://www.americainter.net/~fevans/tangdar_flintstone.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Can't help ya on the 71 parts as ours is a 66 but will suggest you practice a bit first as you said you've
never welded before. Get some sheet metal from a breakers yard, 70's stuff as it is different metal than
what's being used now, (newer is thinner and tempered, welds different) Cut it up and do some beads and
fills as you'll be doing in the car, ie learn on junk. The other answers cover the weld thru and cleaning but
do read the can on the weld thru and use it like it's intended.

66 Coupe, 289/2v, C4, CA Red

1 - 5 of 5 Posts