Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when you replace the whole floor pan (one side at a time) do you remove the complete seat riser or should you cut one side at a time as you replace the floor. it seems like it would be easier to remove the whole riser instead of cutting it twice. would i loose any structural integrity if i remove the whole unit? thanks

G

·
0 Posts
You should remove the riser, and then replace the pan as a whole unit. The riser probably adds a little structural support, but not as much as a full pan will when compared to a cut pan. A flat bit air chisel makes easy work of the riser. Mine is out right now, and I will probably use some thin steel L stock to make new flanges because mine were pretty rough by the time it was out. Just make sure that you get it lined up properly so you can bolt the seat in later.
Dan

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
The "riser" you're refering to on a convertible should NOT be cut. Remove it as one piece. Since there isn't a roof on our cars, it acts as a 'cross body' brace when coupled with the lower floor reinforcement panels and the bolt on panel that connect the two reinforcements. All of these put together give our cars some structural integrity.

Be sure to check your inner rockers while your there. If you're lucky, yours are still OK.

Gregg

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the answers. i will remove the riser as one unit (got half the spot welds drilled out today) then replace the torgue box, inner rocker and floor pan on one side, then do the other side, and then replace the seat riser.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
If you don't have some sort of a brace set up, you should probably keep the doors on the car. This will help to keep the car from 'flexing' and maintain the cars alignment. I'm going to have to do the same thing at some point.

Good luck and keep us up-to-date of your progress.
Gregg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts