Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of putting the one peice floor pan in. I have a couple of questions:

1. Where does the floor pan attach to on the rocker panel? The rocker has the indentions about a 1/4 inch form the bottom does the floor go above or below these?

2. How did you make you floorpan lay flush to the Transmision cross Member? I have a methode but it is ALOT of work. Just curious to here what yall are doing.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
I am in the process of putting the one peice floor pan in. I have a couple of questions:

1. Where does the floor pan attach to on the rocker panel? The rocker has the indentions about a 1/4 inch form the bottom does the floor go above or below these?

2. How did you make you floorpan lay flush to the Transmision cross Member? I have a methode but it is ALOT of work. Just curious to here what yall are doing.
Sounds like a few photos are needed.

1) from someone else. I can get one later this evening and send to you. At work now.

2) I need to see how things are fitting for you now. Hard to determine what is going on here. Are you saying that the contour of the trans tunnel is not the same "arch" as the welded in portion of the crossmember? Or do the bolt holes not line up with the crossmember?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Not sure about the tranny tunnel... but doing the floors in my 68, the floor was spot welded by the flange to the rocker panel originally. I got carried away, and ran a seam across the whole thing, spot welds should suffice.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I needed to drill a few holes and use small bolts with large washers to help bring the floor and trans tunnel brace together. But if you look at originals they didn't look too hot down there either. After getting everything pulled together I welded my holes all up.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure about the tranny tunnel... but doing the floors in my 68, the floor was spot welded by the flange to the rocker panel originally. I got carried away, and ran a seam across the whole thing, spot welds should suffice.
yeah I know It spot welds to the floor flang. But how for up on the rocker do I weld it?

As for the transmision Cross member. I am drilling bolt hole frough the flange and through the floor and using bolts to pull the floor tight and flush to the Cross member flang. then I spot weld it down, then I remove the bolts and weld the hole back close.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I needed to drill a few holes and use small bolts with large washers to help bring the floor and trans tunnel brace together. But if you look at originals they didn't look too hot down there either. After getting everything pulled together I welded my holes all up.
Brilint minds think alike... LOL... at least I hope were brilint...We will see tonight I got more to do..

·
Registered
35,833 Posts
Below:

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I just finished mine this last weekend and I can tell you that the location on the inner rocker should be shown by the remaining pot welds...that is if you did it right and used a spot weld cutter? Also, I would add that if the floor is laying on the torque box and the front toe board the floor should line up with the previous location, again look for the old spot weld locations, that lip on your new floor pan that is bent upwards is not really tall. My vertical lip was running over the top of those indentations in a few spots, it was toward the bottom of them, but over them slightly.

EDIT> Also, I used a bunch of tech screws that are self tapping to pull everything down on the tunnel, I got lucky and it matched up like it should.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts