Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the undercarriage. My first thought was to use ryno bed liner. I watched a special on the speed channel and they were using this. Looks great and seals great. What do you guy's and gals think. Im not restoring my car to its original condition nor am I doing a Shelby clone. Im doing it the way that I want. I bought the Shelby front spoiler and the side scoops, but I dont like the Shelby dec. So what is everyones opinions. Im going to have gregs68 to help me post some pictures. The new floors, seat risers, toe boards, frame patches and frame rails look great. Everything fit great. We have to grind down the welds, seam seal, etc. I live in Illinois but this car will never see another rainy or snowy day.

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
I was thinking of using Rhino lining myself. I know a bunch of guys that have it on their trucks, but they all had them sprayed on professionally. Does anyone know of a "do it yourself" rhino-type lining that isn't crappy?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I would/am going to use Zero Rust on the entire underside of my vert....when I'm ready (ha! I can dream can't I?). It's easier to use than POR and seems to be as durable. I would definitely put something like that or an epoxy primer underneath before doing the bedliner..just to be safe.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I think if you are not concerned about keeping the car stock then that is the way to go. The local automotive paint store would be the first place I would check. The can talk you through the products and give you a lead on who in the area can take care of painting it for you.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I'm not convinced that putting something like rhino liner on the chassis of a car is a good idea.....

if the stuff is as durable and adheres as well as they claim it does, it'll be hell to ever get off for any reason....

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
It will be hell to get off if you ever want to remove it or at least Line-X would be.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
I used bed-liner on mine. I actually used the Dupli-Color brand though. You can get it in roll on, aeresol cans or large quantity to spray with a gun. I love the stuff -it looks awesome, does not scratch or anything.

And why in the hell would you be wanting to remove it anyway? I am putting it there because I am finished restoring the bottom - no need to worry about taking it off.

I mean - if that is your thought process, did you maybe weld any sheet metal patches to your car? now that will be a bitch down the road to remove also wont it... but you didnt think twice about it. did ya?

·
Registered
540 Posts
They sell stuff to remove it anyways. Its in a spray can that turns it into sludge. Probably messy to remove but doable.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I watched a thirty minute special and they showed the process. They make a gun that you have to buy when you put it on. The guys on the show said that if the automobile dealers had access to this stuff thirty years ago, our floors and frame rails wouldn't be rusting away. Not sure if thats what I'm going to do, but it sounds like the best alternative.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
One reason you may want to remove it is if the car is ever wrecked. Some DIY bedliner coatings would be fine. The catalized products like Line-X would be extremely difficult.

Some people won't buy a car with bedliner underneath, like it may be hiding a rust problem.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Sorry, but I don;t like my undercarriages to have the same basic look as a years supply of spray on undercoating. Now if I did a crappy floor job, or overlapped my patches or didn;t want to grind my welds nice, sure, I'd need something to cover the mess up with. When I see that stuff under a car the first thing I think is Gee... what are they trying to hide under all that crap.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
...When I see that stuff under a car the first thing I think is Gee... what are they trying to hide under all that crap.
does this look like a LOT of crap to you...? This stuff goes on nice and smooth and not heavy like conventional rubberized undercoating. Tell me you could hide seams with this... you can still see the weld texture THROUGH the liner...

http://home.kc.rr.com/garagesaleinc/liner.jpg

BTW - this is the rear under my fastback.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
The Linex and Rhino liner I have seen is VERY heavy. Which product are you using on yours?

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
That looks like the solution I'm after. I wanted something like Rhino, but that I could do at home. Do you have a number of the Dupli-Color stuff you used? Where'd you pick it up?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I appreciate all the responses and I hope I get more, but i'm not worried about what a buyer would think. Im never selling the car, and if I wanted to show them a nice new floor I would lift up the carpet. I want protection.....maybe there is a compromise...I think I will try a couple different kinds of bedliner or undercoating. Im sure there are some not as thick.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
...When I see that stuff under a car the first thing I think is Gee... what are they trying to hide under all that crap.
does this look like a LOT of crap to you...? This stuff goes on nice and smooth and not heavy like conventional rubberized undercoating. Tell me you could hide seams with this... you can still see the weld texture THROUGH the liner...

BTW - this is the rear under my fastback.
Does it have sound deadning properties and where did you get it ?

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
The Linex and Rhino liner I have seen is VERY heavy. Which product are you using on yours?
that is actually the Dupli-Color, aeresol can version.
http://www.duplicolor.com/gallery/gallery_images/can_truckbed.jpg
TR250 Aerosol Can (16.5 oz)

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Does it have sound deadning properties and where did you get it ?
Not sure of sound deadending yet - have not got to road test the car yet - and I am still open headers. I does seam to cut down on the reverb. when the metal is being hammered on. But with all sound deadening - it takes mass to deaden sound, so the thicker you put the stuff on, the more it will mask sound.

got it @ O'Reilly Autoparts

1 - 19 of 19 Posts