Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have it completely screwed and bolted on but it is too easy to move in the mid area. I used to wonder why my old valance had a quarter inch of body filler all the way across since it didn't appear to have ever been bumped but the filler did make it more rigid.

Is this because of the reproduction metal being thin? I can't let the issue go so I'm going to have to do something to address it. Since I replaced the trunk metal and the gas tank some of the holes for those bumper guard brackets appear to be missing but I have the original brackets still. I can either re-install them and just put blacked out bolts through the valance holes that are already there or I can make up a bracket system. I'm thinking I would go from the frame cross member down to the holes on each side and then put a cross bar between those spans behind the valance. I think I would need to put another hole in the valance in the mid point which would wind up being behind the license plate.

Another way would be to manufacture a back bracing system and tack it on to the valance itself. The factory should have done this to this part to make it more rigid.

Any other ideas or reasons/explanations for why this thing is so flimsy floppy in the middle?

·
Registered
33,889 Posts
They weren't very stiff, and the reproductions even less so. Were I you, I'd reinstall the bumper guards.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I dunno, but I kind of like the flex because it means that every time I go a little nuts and bottom the exhaust out, the tailpipes dont crease/bend the valance when they get friendly.

Should this be a concern or a thing that I plan for? No. Should I solve the problem the right way by better mounting my exhaust system or changing tailpipe clearance? Possibly. But it's one of those "features" that I'm glad I accidentally have because it means I don't have to screw around with it :)

·
Registered
9,779 Posts
You mean the factory brace/brackets that go about 3-4 inches on each side of the license plate area aren't there? Yes, the fasteners are visible along the lower valence.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The only brace/brackets I had in there were the ones for those bumper things. Rear bumper guards, bumper bar over riders? They were bolted in using clip nuts.

My exhaust turns out at the rear end so I don't have to worry about pipes hitting back there. My valance has that curved edge along the bottom but that doesn't do much to stabilize it longitudinally.

I took the brackets off when I replaced all my trunk metal and when I checked putting them back on I found that some of the bolt holes(can't remember which) for the old brackets were not in the new panels or maybe they weren't in the new gas tank flange. Initially I decided to not re-install them so I threw them in a box.

I have pulled my rear valance and bumper back off. I marked the position of those holes in the rear valance up on the tail panel for reference. I'm going to see what I need to do to re-install the original rear bumper guard bar over rider brackets up in there. I had to go find a photo online to see which side which bracket goes to. The things have a horizontal flap for one bolt and the other bolt goes up almost but not quite vertically. I don't think I have either of the vertical holes.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@22GT
@1ofAMillion+
@Kelly_H
@Huntingky
@Roddster

I just wanted to thank you all for contributing to this post and trying to help me out.

I just finished drilling out the holes and re-installing my bumper guard brackets. My valance is no longer a floppy. I missed on one of the holes so I get to weld that one shut, yayyyyyyyyy, LOL. Whilst I am in the general area I should probably weld down my rear bumper brackets too. Friday is supposed to hit 70 so I'm hoping to spray my trunk and finally get the thing finished.

Soooo yeah, now I get to blow it all apart, clean up those brackets and paint them gloss chassis black. Yep, thats what I need to do now. On a personal note, I used to talk to my dog but somebody stole him and it crush me just about and I can't bear to loose another dog so I won't go get one and I wind up talking to myself sometimes.

I'm taking a break at the moment so I could not wait to get on here and share the wonderful news on how to fix your floppy valance and it is factory and not some custom made up bracketery gizmo ratchet thing.

This does bring up just an academic question for me though. Were these brackets installed on all these cars even if you didn't put the bumper guards on? When I bought my car back in the 90's some time it had the brackets but no bumper guards.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts