Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can T-8 LED tubes be used in a T-5 fixture? I need to replace some tubes in my shop and found some T-8 LED tubes at Walmart for cheap. They look about the same and have the same type of contacts on the ends.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
If they are meant to do away with the ballasts then yes. I’ve seen some at work that use the ballasts and they flicker. Here at my day job I do away with the ballasts all together, wire up my own tombstones and use the Eiko lite span LED T8 bulbs. T5 and T8 will not interchange. I use T8 tombstones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,541 Posts
No, different characteristics not to mention different pin spacing. The T5 was suppose to be the next evolution in energy efficiency. As the diameter of the tube gets smaller the efficiency goes up.

Today you can get LED T8 bulbs for as little as $5 each. I'd suggest getting some florescent fixtures at a garage sale or something, gutting the ballast and installing LED bulbs. I have nine 2 tube T8 fixtures in my garage that I'm going to be converting to LED. Personally I like 3500k as it gives a more natural light. 4100 too cool and 2800 too warm for my liking.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I guess my fixtures are T-8, because the T-8 tubes fit them fine, and work with the ballists. And what a difference in light! The new ones are 5000K and really make the shop light up. The walls are 12 feet tall and unfinished wood, and with the 3000K bulbs is was just not light enough to see without the roll up doors open. I think the tubes were $8/pair. I bought all they had but still need a couple more to change them all out.

·
Registered
20,541 Posts
Light output in lumens is the same between 3 & 5k. It's the perception. For about the first 100 hours new bulbs are going to be brighter then rated at which point they'll level off then drop off at end of life. Clean the fixture too. Glossy white paint is something like 94% or 96% efficient at reflecting light.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! That's good to know

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
IIRC, when I was doing lights of lighting research some military study determined 4K was the ideal color for a workshop environment. Like Husky says, fluorescent output starts to decline fairly quickly. I'll never buy another, I've been replacing my 8' HO bulbs with LED ballast bypass replacements as they go bad.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you notice tubes don't last like they use too......As soon as I put the ladder away the next tube starts blinking. LED no matter what works for me.

·
Registered
20,541 Posts
If you notice tubes don't last like they use too......As soon as I put the ladder away the next tube starts blinking. LED no matter what works for me.
Always replace all tubes in a fixture exactly for that reason. Especially when I had to change a bulb 38 feet up and set up the Genie lift.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
So with this conversion of eliminating the ballast i assume you can then run a fixture like a 2X4 or 4X4 with only 1 lamp if you want? I can see lots of custom possibilities when you just need a couple of hot tombstones.
Ive got a couple of old fixtures i took down as they went bad and replaced with a string of LED "daylight" spotlights. They work well but can always use more light. Wish I knew sooner.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
So with this conversion of eliminating the ballast i assume you can then run a fixture like a 2X4 or 4X4 with only 1 lamp if you want? I can see lots of custom possibilities when you just need a couple of hot tombstones.
Ive got a couple of old fixtures i took down as they went bad and replaced with a string of LED "daylight" spotlights. They work well but can always use more light. Wish I knew sooner.
Yes. I had a dual lamp 4' fixture, and only wired one set of Tombstones so I could run 1 lamp.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The only problem I have with LED's is they really tear up the FM garage radio on the weaker station. Maybe time for a outside antenna?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts