Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried using the VMF search feature but found everything else, but no reference to this exhaust system. I just purchased one for my 67, and wanted to know if anyone installed one on their 67. If so were there an installation problems? The system is listed as for the 65 thru 66 Mustangs, except for the GT's due to the GT rear valance. I remember someone on the Forum mentioned using this system on their 67 with no problems.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
James,

Can't help you on the answer, but the search feature requires special attention. You might read Bob's guidelines carefully and try the search again.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just found what needed in the search feature. Had to look under just Flowmaster. It will fit.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Yes, it somewhat fits.

I am anticipating I am going to have to do a couple of things as I have it "positioned" under the car so the rubber bushings stretch to their final resting place and so I am thinking about things rather than slapping them together.

1) the exhaust system hangs to low at the rear. On the 67 it comes out (effectively) under the valence with about 2" clearance to the top of the pipe. So I plan on shortening the hangers.

2) the exhaust system doent protrude far enough from the valence to the rear (not enough exposed "nice and shiny" pipe) so I plan on repositioning the hangers at the same time I shorten them to move the system "rearward" to get the results I desire.

3) I assume I am going to have to cut quite a bit from the front of the H-pipe to get the headers to fit (I was making measurements the other day) as to make nice transisitons to the H-pipe.

Maybe I am wrong, but it seems I am correct in my thinking at this point.

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I put the system under my '67 coupe with no major problems. The rear hangars hold the pipes at a very nice level and the tips stick out just right (don't know why mine was different from Skunks'?) I had to "spread" the h pipe a little to clear my T5 conversion crossmember, but that was the only major mod.

Be aware - - when they named the system "Thunder," they weren't kidding. Much louder than I anticipated. Sounds great when you stand on it, but is very annoying at cruising speeds. Also gets some harmonic vibrations at certain RPMs. Rear view mirror is useless. I should have followed the forum's advice - - buy the kit and put the mufflers on ebay!

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I called flowmaster a while back and asked them about the kit for my '68, they said that it would not fit because of the staggered shocks, I told him the '68 doesnt have staggered shocks, or atleast mine doesnt, he said, "oh, it will fit then" I have yet to purchase the kit, but i am thinking when i do I may upgrade to the 50 series mufflers or maybe those new ones that they have started advertising, still get the deep throaty sound without the resonation...

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to add the dual GT outlets to the rear for a stock appearance, so that should add a few inches to the overall length. When I called Flowmaster and asked if it will fit a 67, the tech rep said that 67 wheel base is longer than the 65-66. it isn't they're both 108 in. I have a friend of my son's who will buy the 40's from me if they're to loud for me, after the cam break in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts