Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have decided that i want a 2 1/4 dual exhaust kit for my vert, but there are some restrictions. i want a good aluminized, mandrel bent system, but there are very few kits that offer this. the only ones i found were the FLOWMASTER KIT that costs $350+, and THIS KIT . First of all, i plan on using tri-y headers and possibly dynomax super turbos (i would just sell the others i get) I saw a previous post suggesting getting a exhaust shop to fab a system, but i am worried about the price. so, here are pros and cons of each:

flowmaster- guaraunteed quality
stainless steel tips
better grade hangers
no h-pipe
high price

ebay kit- low price
tri-y h-pipe
low price
cheap chrome turn downs
cheap hangers
no knowledge of quality

so, what do you guys think? should i go ahead with the cheap kit or shell out the extra cash for the flowmaster kit? also, can anyone speak about the quality of either or has anyone used either? please make a recomendation of what i should use. and remember, i am young and pressed for cash at the moment! thanks ::

·
Registered
440 Posts
You may want to talk with a reputable muffler shop before buying a kit. I had a 2 1/2 inch flowmaster system installed on my 67 for 375. This included both mufflers and mendrel bent tubes. If you are going to sell the new mufflers anyway you may be able to get an exhaust installed for 200 or so (figuring what I spent minus 80-90 each for mufflers) Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I would also recommend talking to your local shop before buying a kit and trying it yourself. The reason is - if the kit you buy doesn't fit right (most times they DON'T), you end up taking it to your local guy anyway, who will charge you for fixing something he could have bent up in the first place. They frown on that, but you can't do it unless you have the equipment.

My local guy offers alumized tube and he's a flowmaster dealer, so I don't even hesitate. And if it doesn't fit - it's his problem, not mine.

Dave ::

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
That ebay kit does not look mandrel bent to me, maybe bent over someones knee..

If i was going to do a full mandrel setup, i would probably buy the rear pipes from flowmaster (over the axle) and maybe buy some mandrel bends and have it done local.
The flowmaster tailpipes are nice!!

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Don't waste your time with the kit....It fits terrible! I sent mine back. The H-pipe fits awful (I have Tri-y's). I spent $400 on a new set up which included continous welds around all connections. It is not mandrel bent but I seriously doubt you will notice a difference in performance. That "mandrel bent stuff" is magazine talk in my opinion. If you are not over 325 HP (+/-) then you will never feel it. Man, I sound really stern on this topic! Just didn't like having to ship my system back, I guess. Good luck!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Call and talk to Chance at First Chance Tire in Lavergne 459-7115 and see what he can do for you. I work in Smyrna and I am gonna have them put a custom dual exhaust with a flowmaster on my 99 Z71 truck. I think he quoted me like $250 installed. He is a good guy.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I put the Flowmaster kit on my '67. Contrary to previous posts, my kit was very well made and fit quite well. The stainless tips are beautiful and it has a great hanger kit. Now for the bad news. To quote the Summit page:
They also feature a 2-chamber muffler(s) that’ll give you plenty of Flowmaster sound outside the vehicle, as well as inside it.
That translates to
VERY LOUD
I should have listened to the forum, bought the Flowmaster kit and put the mufflers on ebay!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts