Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its time to have the exhaust put on my car, and I really like the sound of the flowmaster 40 series, but I can't justify spending 120.00 on mufflers. I have glass packs on the car now, and I really don't care for them. Is there another muffler that sounds like flowmasters, but is cheaper? Thanks in advance......

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Might want to look at Dynomax Super Turbos. I don't think they sound like Flowmasters ... they sound better, which is why I have them on my son's '65 and my '66, and my '69 sportsroof will get them as well, when it's ready.

They're half the price of Flowmasters (they don't have the Flowmaster advertising budget to contend with /forums/images/icons/wink.gif), and everything I've seen and read says they outflow the Flowmasters.

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
First of all, nothing sounds like a Flowmaster.

With Flowmasters, you're not only paying for the sound, but also for the build quality. And, of course, the name.

Also, $120 isn't that much compared to what a complete exhaust is running these days. Depending on pipe size and muffler selection, from the manifolds/headers back, you're looking at $325-$475. I just blew $80 to have the 15" of 2.25" pipe on each side installed, to convert from long tubes to short tube headers. It took less than an hour.

K, now as for your question, the short answer is "NO" there is nothing that comes close to the Flowmaster sound for a lower price. If you are set on a lower priced muffler, maybe look into a set of Thrush (?) Turbo's. The other cheapo out there that is decent is the Raptor (Magnaflow? is the brand).

Hope this helps. Oh, I just thought of another possibility, you might be able to find a slighty used pair of Flows.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
I gotta agree here. Dynomax Super Turbos rock. Unless you WANT to honk (will THAT be censored too?!) your neighbors off with ear-splitting decibels, you should go with the Dynomax mufflers. They are nice and mellow at cruise, but they will let you know when you romp on it.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I used the MAC 2.5" mufflers on mine. MAC's add showed an independent study that proved they flowed better and were quiter than the dynomax and the Flowmaster3 stage mufflers. Boy are they loud. I have also heard that the summit welded ones were as good/similar to the three, but cheaper.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
There are Flowmasters at the swap meets. The set on SWMBOs '61
Ranchero we got for $50. He had two sets, I wish I would have gotten the
others. If your not in a hurry, that is the way to go. I have a used set on my
'64 Sprint. The ones on the orange car I bought new in the box, NOS, for $75
each.

Summit sells a fully welded muffler for $38.69. They look like Flowmasters, I
don't know anyone who has them, so I don't know how they sound.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
I have been a Flowmaster basher for a couple years on the board here (I have the 3 chambers on my 'vert). Anyhow, I wanted to point out that I found where they are nice ... My father's 65 2+2 has a mild 289 in it and the stock manifolds with 2.25" dual exhaust. On his setup they sound VERY nice (2 chambers I reckon). However on my car with an agressive 351W, 2.5" exhaust, and an X-Pipe I think they are not enough (not to mention the dang drone).

Back to your question, you are not going to get the exact Flowmaster sound without the Flow price... however keep in mind that Flows are welded chambered mufflers (not straight through like Dynomax, Thrush, Borla, etc.) so if you buy a welded chambered muffler from another company you will get pretty close. And if that company is known for selling the same products without the Big Name on them you are likely getting the very same product... think Summit /forums/images/icons/wink.gif.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I have to say I purchased a set of NAPA Turbo mufflers (21/2" in/out) about 15 years ago (back before Flowmasters) and installed them on a 67 Dodge Dart with a 440 (540 hp). Great sound on the street and I think I only paid less than $25 each - cannot remember the install cost - I had a custom exhaust system built then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts