Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I thought I would enjoy the Delta 50 three chamber flow masters on my 65' FB. The sound is great on acceleration but the drone at idle and at speed is making me nuts. Time to remove them and put in something else with no drone. I know you can't get the performance and have quiet. What is the mid ground? A few people have suggested dynomax anything else I should consider before finding some replacements and buying them.

Thanks,
Kory

·
Registered
391 Posts
I cut off my three chamber Flowmasters for the very same reasons. The replacement Dynomax mufflers are a lot quiter, but I still get an annoying resonence at about 2,000 RPM. I think the Flowmaster's can do two things: First avoid muffler blowout, and second make a weak 6 cylinder sound more aggressive.

·
Registered
680 Posts
You'all may laugh at this, but I went with Thrush turbos...I love them. The 460 breathes good with them, they are radical sounding at idle (maybe the Crane cam) and when that Demon is open, they sound like streight pipes, but on the road they are very quiet.....I can hear my crappy radio at 65 mph.....
I am useing the 2 1/2" in and out with 2 1/2" all the way back...I would recommend them. They are cheap enough, that if you don't like them, don't hurt to throw them away....

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Well Kory, exhaust sound is an ethereal thing...kinda like one's preference for Crown Royal vs. Captain Morgan Spiced Rum. I have 2-chamber Flowmasters on my 95 GT. When I installed them I was worried about the droning at 2500 rpm. Believe it or not, after only 500 miles they evened out enough to where the drone is almost imperceptible. In fact one of the shop rats had installed the 3-chambered Flowmasters and was disappointed after hearing my 2-chambered mufflers and wanted to switch over. On my 67 GT 350 Clone (351W) I actually had a local shop install a custom exhaust utilizing an off-brand of mufflers manufactured by Edelbrock or Hooker, I can't remember which. I don't remember the brand name of the muffler but I couldn't be happier with the result. They kinda looked like the dynomax muffler. My wife doesn't like loud exhaust systems and the GT350 Clone is her car. When she first drove it she didn't like the noise at idle and at early acceleration. It was a bit too much for her. But after she drove the car she noticed that the noise dissipated (within the cabin) upon further acceleration and cruising. I've had others tell me that the car sounds sweet upon acceleration but the driver is unaware of the noise. At first I was disappointed at the lack of exhaust note within the cabin. But others say the sound from the street is just right. I do not hear any drone when cruising at 2000-2800 rpm. If you like I can check with the shop to determine the exact brand name and configuration of the muffler system. Let me know. You can Pm me.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
2 years ago I installed a dual exhaust system on my coupe with Thrush mufflers. After the first few miles of testdriving I noticed a very loud drone at about 50-60 mph. This was so loud that I couldn't hear my standard AM radio! At that moment I wished I had kept my single exhaust.
After some thinking and trying I discovered that the turn down pipes were to high and that there was a kind a resonance between the tank and the rear valance.
Now I have a beautiful sound from those cheap mufflers, no drone and some louder when accelerating, I can even hear my AM radio at highway speeds.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I've said it before, and I'll say it again! Borla mufflers are the best bet between aggressive tone and flow performance!!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Although I haven't tried it, I understand that you may be able to eliminate the resonance causing your "drone" by having slightly longer pipe length in front of one of the mufflers. May be worth trying before you give up on the flows.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts