Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From reading posts I understand where to fill the axle and tranny (8" open, and 4 speed T-10), what I don't know is how to drain the old stuff out. Are there drain plugs in addition to the fill plugs, if so where are they? If not, what do you do to get the old gunk out? The fluids in this car's tranny and differential have been there as long (and probably a lot longer) as I have owned the car (since about 1978). It was in storage for a large chunk of that time so its not quite as bad as it sounds, but I'm certain I'm many many years overdue!

Thanks in advance.

John Harvey

·
Registered
727 Posts
I would think you would have to find some way to pump the fluid out. A mity-vac would come in really handy in these situations.

·
Vendor
1966 coupe and 1970 sportsroof
5,342 Posts
I had my rear drained (not as painful as it sounds!!) at Penzoil. Cost me $20 to drain it and refill. What they do is stuck a suction hose in there and suck out all the old fluid. Way less messy than trying it yourself!

They can probably do the tranny also.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Harbor Freight sells pumps for this which are probaably cheaper than Mity Vac but i think best way is to takeit to quick oil change place.

·
Premium Member
19,215 Posts
When I took the tranny out, I rotated it on the tranny hoist, and drained the oil into an oil pan. Piece of cake. Only took $400 in hoists and high-rise oil pan to do it. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Registered
7,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the info and advice!

John Harvey

1 - 6 of 6 Posts