Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I live in the salt belt and have spent most of my life fighting rust. For the last 10 years I have been using Fluid Film on my daily drivers with good results. Unfortunately in the last couple of years they have been coating the roads with battery acid or something worse and I can see I'm starting to loose the battle on the old 2002 F150. The new acid has something to do with beet juice and they pave the roads with it if they think it might snow. It fails after a few minutes and turns the roads into a sheet of ice. But you know it's the government and intelligence is not their strong suit. I spent 4 hours today swimming in Fluid Film under the old truck in preparation of 4 inches of snow tomorrow but think I might need to up my game a bit if possible. The weekend cable auto shows are pushing, with compensation I'm sure, NH oil undercoating. So has anybody used it?

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Here's their website, there's also several videos on youtube of the stuff being applied

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
It is interesting that the beet juice fails so miserably on roads. It is excellent in tractor tires. The standard used to be calcium chloride mixture to weight tractor tires and not have them freeze. I have been using the beet juice for years now, heavier than water alone, doesn't freeze and DOESN'T corrode the wheels. That old mixture would rust out a tractor wheel in just a few years, very corrosive. Very easy to spot a leak too, that beet red liquid really stands out and makes a mess.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I'll stick with the Fluid Film after seeing this comparison. I just have to remember to reapply in the bed fender wells a couple of times during the winter as it wears off pretty quickly in that area.

·
Registered
67 Posts
How hard is it to apply this stuff (fluid film or NH undercoating)? Can I just put my car on lift and spray it all over the underside? Does it need to be removed?

I'm going into my first winter with my 68 (which already has some rust despite having been undercoated by the previous owner) and am wondering if this is worthwhile.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I live in southern Maine and had my 2017 Tahoe undercoated last year by that company. They have mobile units that come to you, put your car on ramps, and spray the undercarriage. I can say that they do a thorough job and make it a point to get all the nooks, crannies, and holes. Well worth the money with the downside being that the coating will last a year or two tops.
I was told that the mobile units are focusing on the oil undercoating now, but I don't see that as a downside as the oil fits more with the look of the undercarriage and isn't brownish like FF is.
FYI, my Tahoe stunk for a good two weeks until the petroleum smell dissapaited.

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
How hard is it to apply this stuff (fluid film or NH undercoating)? Can I just put my car on lift and spray it all over the underside? Does it need to be removed?

I'm going into my first winter with my 68 (which already has some rust despite having been undercoated by the previous owner) and am wondering if this is worthwhile.
It is not difficult but to do it correctly you do have to know some stuff.

You need to drill the rockers and other areas that are encapsulated. You need long wands to go in some areas like the doors. It is also messy. You NEED a mask and you should have a suit on.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I live in southern Maine and had my 2017 Tahoe undercoated last year by that company. They have mobile units that come to you, put your car on ramps, and spray the undercarriage. I can say that they do a thorough job and make it a point to get all the nooks, crannies, and holes. Well worth the money with the downside being that the coating will last a year or two tops.
I was told that the mobile units are focusing on the oil undercoating now, but I don't see that as a downside as the oil fits more with the look of the undercarriage and isn't brownish like FF is.
Mine me asking how much it costs? If you are happy with it, could you maybe message me the contact information or something, I'd love to have this done and am in New England.

It is not difficult but to do it correctly you do have to know some stuff.

You need to drill the rockers and other areas that are encapsulated. You need long wands to go in some areas like the doors. It is also messy. You NEED a mask and you should have a suit on.
Got it, sounds like something I should just get a professional to do.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Wish me luck, getting ready to do my crew cab Chevy this week. I can't wait, it sounds like so much fun !!!
It's not as bad as the dentist... Usually? I have to psych myself up to get into doing it. I keep telling myself no truck payments! The smell is not pleasant but it's not a soiled diaper either. You don't need a respirator but I wear a better quality 3M mask.
The oil part concerns me a little which is why I decided to stick with fluid film along with the test results in the video. I nondiscriminatory spray everything under the truck that is metal and I don't care if I hit the cats or manifolds as Fluild Film is non flammable. I guess I'm also still a little old school and worry about petroleum and rubber stuff.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Mine me asking how much it costs? If you are happy with it, could you maybe message me the contact information or something, I'd love to have this done and am in New England.
Got it, sounds like something I should just get a professional to do.
I think it was around $225 and think it was money well spent. The mobile unit is well equipped and the tech made sure he got the entire undercarriage coated. As I said, it won’t last for more than a year or so. Especially, if you use a car was often, but it’s cheap rust prevention in my eyes.

I found my guy off the website: https://nhoilundercoating.com/

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think it was around $225 and think it was money well spent. The mobile unit is well equipped and the tech made sure he got the entire undercarriage coated. As I said, it won’t last for more than a year or so. Especially, if you use a car was often, but it’s cheap rust prevention in my eyes.

I found my guy off the website: https://nhoilundercoating.com/
Awesome, I will look into this! Did they need a lot of space to do this and is it pretty messy? I only ask because I park in a parking garage...

·
Registered
443 Posts
Awesome, I will look into this! Did they need a lot of space to do this and is it pretty messy? I only ask because I park in a parking garage...
The mobile unit is a van and the y need enough space to put the vehicle on ramps so the tech can get under the vehicle.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Fluid film washes off any place that gets spray from road. I have a lift and spray tools so I reapply those areas several times a year.
Woolwax is also lanolin based but its thicker and not supposed to wash off as easily. I just got a 5 gallon bucket so we will see. Fluid works well if it stays put. It also stinks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts