Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Flying to buy a car in OK city!

941 views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  MarkMach1 
#1 ·
Well I'm planning on buying This car next weekend. However, I have to fly to Oklahoma City and then drive it back. I've talked to the past two owners of the vehicle and everyone attests that the car runs as fine as it looks. My only concern was an engine rebuild at 33K miles. I talked with the man that did the rebuild and he said a crank pulley nut was loose and the crank needed replaced. Then a Kenny Bell 1010 crank was used as a replacement. Anyone familar with these? Also the timing gear and piston rings were replaced. There was also a port job done on the heads. He said the cylindars were not bored at all. I'm anxious to see the car, but I know I have to be willing to walk away too. The guy did assure me by saying if I don't like the car he will pay me back for my tickets. So, any suggestions for traveling long distance to buy a car? Any VMFers in OK city?

#2 ·
Nothing like flying across country to pick up a used car for a nice break in stint on the way home. How do I know? http://johnz.mustangsandmore.ws/
Do you realize how much bodywork will be needed to get that thing back into the shape of a Mustang? Who altered it in the first place? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

#4 ·
Yeah the weird thing is I'm paying more for this car than I paid for my Mustang. I'm going to upgrade to a nicer Mustang or upgrade my Mustang now! Yeehaw!!! Only thing that could wreck my plans is a loss of employment or kids! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

#5 ·
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Only thing that could wreck my plans is a loss of employment or kids!

<hr></blockquote>Be sure to sleep with one eye open, don't let SWMBO get in a sneak attack! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Congrats on your (soon to be consumated) purchase. I'm sure it's as sweet in person as the pictures indicate!!!

#9 ·
Good luck. The car looks great and I'm glad you chose that one.
The excitement must be killing you! I have not done what you are going to do, but kinda close. My '68 Gt 390 Fastback we drive 10hrs to p/u and my current '67 GT I had shipped 800 miles and could not wait to see it.
That is very nice of the seller to offer to pay you for your tkts if you are not happy with the car...

Keep us posted,
Mike

#10 ·
Hey Bishir. Neat car.

I was born in OK city. Does that count for anything?

A buddy of mine flew to Orlando two months ago to buy a "mini". Took him 30 hours of hard driving and fixing to get it back to Indiana. At one point he was two hours out of Orlando and turned around and drove BACK to Orlando because the car was running so poorly. He ended up getting an ENTIRE SPARE ENGINE which he put in the trunk. Coming home again, the car quit running and he swapped the carb off the spare engine to get it going again. He was somewhere Tennessee at a truck stop trying to tune the car when these four blokes with english accents came up and told him exactly what he needed to do to get it going again (probably would make a good "Touched by an Angel" episode.

Anyway...that car was a piece of junk. I'm sure yours will be fine. And, if not...check any strangers that show up and know how to adjust the waste gate pressure very carefully for halos.

Phil

#11 ·
Those are very cool cars. My friend had one that ran a 10.90 at the local drag strip with very few modifcations. He was told after the run to put it on the trailer because he had no roll cage! Surprised himself and everyone else. They are a joy to watch on the starting line. When the roll control is engaged, the RPMs are brought way up, the car raises and the suspension starts to stretch out. Then when they launch they go BAM!!! and they are gone...I guess its the sound of the Turbo whinning and the torqu converter kicking in that really puts on a show.

#12 ·
have you ever noticed how all the good deals are 1000 miles away?i'm 2 hrs from okc,but every thing i look at is your way in fl. i wouldn't know what to do to buy a car in my home town,i'd probably ask how much to ship it!

#13 ·
Sweet looking ride!! At least the shifter looks like it's from a Stang(in the picture, anyway)

Congrats, and good luck with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.