Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trudging on with my C4-T5 conversion. Was installing flywheel and clutch today, and ran into this. No matter how I place the clutch on the flywheel, I can't get the bolt holes to line up. Am I somehow managing to do this wrong, or have I ordered/received the wrong parts?

Parts purchased are:
Flywheel: More Information for LUK LFW451
Clutch: More Information for LUK 07014

You can see the pin coming through in the hole second from the bottom, and the misalignment of the bolt hole in the hole second from the top.

Thanks,

TGV

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
All three pins lined up? If so it appears they sold you the wrong parts. Try mounting the flywheel to the crank, it will only go on one way. I the FW fits, you probably have the wrong PP.

·
Registered
10,382 Posts
Try removing the alignment pins and see if the bolt holes will line up. The hole you have the pin in is not an alignment pin hole, it's a fastener hole. The "optional" diaphragm clutch pressure plates use a bolt pattern that matches the factory pp style they are replacing, not a standard diaphragm pattern. In this case is, the pattern would be a Long style.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, poo. Guess I'll have to figure out which part is wrong and get it replaced. The flywheel mounts to the crank just fine, so I'll work from the assumption it's the pressure plate. Thanks, all.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually, looking at the pictures of the flywheel online, I think that's what's wrong. The one in the picture I linked to has pin holes between the bolt holes, mine does not, and the casting number in the picture is VF98005, whereas mine says VF98005M. I think RockAuto sent me the wrong flywheel. Now to try to communicate with them... Never seen a website that tries so hard to keep you from contacting them.

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
The holes for the alignment pins are not threaded, the pins are supposed to be a press fit in the holes. There should be three of them and 6 threaded holes for the pressure plate. If it's supposed to be a diaphragm pressure plate for a 5.0, they should be metric.

·
Registered
10,382 Posts
Yep, bolt holes line up without the alignment pins. Can I use it without the pins?
If the PP is intended as a replacement for a Long clutch and the holes line up with threaded holes, then yes. Long and Borg & Beck plates don't use alignment pins, they align on the fasteners. Three tiny pins aren't going to make a bit of difference when the plate is bolted down by 6x 5/16" grade 8 or better fasteners.

Flip the PP over and look at it from the clutch side. Post a pic of that. I'll bet there are only six holes that are flush to the mounting face and they are 3 1/8" center to center. That would make your clutch a diaphragm with a Long mounting pattern, aka a "conversion" clutch. True diaphragm clutches use the alignment pins, but have equally spaced mounting holes, not three pairs of two like a Long.

Reactions: cally68

·
Registered
10,382 Posts
That's the flywheel. Need to see the clutch side of the pressure plate. It does help show the mounting patterns. Red is true diaphragm style with equally spaced holes, green is the Long pattern with three groups of two. A 10" Long pressure plate has those holes spaced 3 1/8" center to center.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry, not paying enough attention.

So the McLeod chart there makes me think that this is perfectly correct for the 10" type one, except that I need to pull the dowel pins, as they shouldn't be there for this type of clutch. Am I interpreting that correctly?

Attachments

·
Registered
695 Posts
I'm not sure you need the pins. I have a 351C with a Ram 1507 164 tooth flywheel and a Centerforce 11" PP CFT260000 and Centerforce doesn't say anything about alignment pins. Unless stock 5.0L requires them because they don't use shouldered bolts. I guess that is the only reason for the pins. So if you have shouldered bolts I don't think you need the pins.

·
Registered
10,382 Posts
Sorry, not paying enough attention.

So the McLeod chart there makes me think that this is perfectly correct for the 10" type one, except that I need to pull the dowel pins, as they shouldn't be there for this type of clutch. Am I interpreting that correctly?
You got it! ;)

Reactions: cally68

·
Registered
573 Posts
The pins help align the clutch a lot but float once the clutch is bolted up so if you can get sucker perfectly straight and your clutch alignment tool pops out like she’s only been with one guy your good

1 - 16 of 16 Posts