Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
School just started up for me, so the 'stangs been on hold, but as it is the weekend, I'd like to finish and zip it up. Only problem i'm having is with the flywheel: My flywheel fits on the original torque converter, but I ended up going with a 10" converter and now my flywheel doesn't fit. Can I just head up to my local parts guy and get a new one, and if so, how am I supposed to tell him how big it needs to be and where the bolt holes for the converter need to be? Just measure it up w/ a tape measure? 1965 289 c-4,
TCI Streetfighter T/C
Thanks in advance.
-Ryan

·
Registered
680 Posts
I don't understand what you mean when you say that your flywheel doesn't fit...Why?
Aftermarket torque converters are built wth a lot closer tolerances than stock parts.(For high performance use) sometimes they just look like they won't work, but, with a little more effort, they will go together...Maybe this is your problem...

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
You have tried to just put the torque-convert onto the flex plate with no tranny, and it doesn't fit? If you have the correct converter, I didn't think it matter what size the converter is, because the studs for the flex plate, I thought, where still in the same place.

Stock flex plates are readily available at your local auto parts store. You could just take your converter with you and match it at the counter.

I'm going by Transtar this morning or this afternoon, to get a rebuild kit for my son's C4. I'll check with them and get back to you on the studs being in a different location for a smaller converter.

FYI ... flywheels have clutch pressure plates bolted to them (as in manual transmissions), flex plates have converters bolted to them (as in automatic transmissions). Not a big deal, but if you get a bozo at the parts place looking for a flywheel, you could REALLY end up with some bogus parts /forums/images/icons/wink.gif.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
I am not sure about the auto trans on earlier mustangs but when I had a 77 cobra mustang with a v8 I had discovered there where three different converters and the bell housings where different in that the starter location was different. This required a different flywheel for each size because of the starter location.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
There are a couple different converters depending on the year of the transmission, but that is an input shaft issue, not a flexplate issue.

If the bolts line up, but cannot be tightened without tweeking the flexplate, then you have the drain plug (s) oriented incorrectly. There are holes in the flexplate that have to line up with the drain plugs in the converter.

If you head to the autoparts store and get a stock flexplate, like the one you had, surely the torque converter would not fit that one either. Be sure you have the right converter.

Good Luck

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
not true....as posted there ARE several different converter bolt patterns and bellhousing sizes....

there are 2 different sizes for most C4 optional cars/trucks, plus the tiny Pinto (oops, I meant mustangII) V8 bellhousing for the C4

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know I have the right converter (24 spline) and it fits nicely on the input shaft(pretty sure thats the piece that sticks out of tranny). It's just that the stock flexplate wouldnt fit b/c the diameter of my new converter is smaller than that of the old one. Thanks for the help you guys, looks like i'll be makin a run to the parts house this afternoon and i'll post back later. Thanks
-Ryan

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aight guys, afer spending about 30 minutes at the local speed shop, we came to the conclusion that sharkmouth was right, they make 2 converters where everything is the same: size, stall...except the bolt pattern(one 11", one 10.5" I think). Ends up I got the wrong one =( So back to Summit it goes. Just as well though, since I found out my speed shop can get me the same stall from Hughes for $296, a little better than Summit's $350. Do you guys think going TCI is really worth all that or would it work just as well to get the Hughes? Thanks for the help.
-Ryan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts