Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I've been looking for a flywheel for my 68 and a fellow VMFer has one for sale. The questions is I've been checking with some mechanics I know, and have been getting different answers so I'm coming here for the right answer.
The flywheel will be used in a 68 coupe with a toploader behind a 1968 302 from an automatic car. The flywheel that is for sale has the part # C30E-6380-B and the date code is 4D4. The seller had it bolted up to a 67 289 with a 4-speed.
The problem is the mechanics are telling me there are several manual flywheels in that era and they all don't work with this setup. Can someone please tell me will this work and what else I should be looking for (ie diameter, bolt pattern ect.)
Thanks in advance.
Dave

·
Registered
10,402 Posts
The C3 flywheel will work just make sure you get it resurfaced to guarantee a completely flat surface and use new flywheel bolts that have the sealer on them.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
That sounds like the correct flywheel for an early Mustang, question is what bellhousing do you have? That flywheel will work with the C5DA small aluminum bellhousings used on small block Mustangs thru 1968 (it was used with the 157/160 tooth flywheels). Big cars and later Mustangs used the larger 164 tooth flywheel, which used a larger bellhousing ( actually the starter position was noticably moved on these bells). The later bells will often be heavy cast iron and have a C5TA casting numbers.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
C5AA bells were aluminum, and for the 164 tooth flywheel. These came on K codes, and Boss 302's. They must have come on other cars as well, as they usually fetch less than $100, even at Carlisle.

Carl

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just checked the bellhousing and it is an aluminum C5DA. So it sound like this flywheel will work.
Thanks all

1 - 6 of 6 Posts