Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the neutral safety switch and the back-up light switch on the SHIFTER or the transmission? I remember seeing a harness coming out of the shifter area last night, and I dont remember seeing wires on the transmission (the FMX)

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
On a fmx the neutral safety is in the shifter. Sometimes they are hard to locate. Some people us the "R" word when they are selling them.. :)

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if I understand this right.... I dont need to do ANY wiring on the transmission to get my safety switch to work and to get my backup lights to work?

Wow... that would kick some major butt!!

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
It should plug into the existing wiring harness under the car. IIRC the switch harness exits the shifter housing under the car and not under the carpet. It should plug directly into your existing vehicle harness...

·
Registered
322 Posts
This is all very interesting. I'm getting ready to drop the FMX transmission in my car this week and change the front seal. What a chore. Wish somebody would do it for me. Don't have the ducks for an AOD right now either.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Correct, it comes out under the car. It is already plugged in and everything. It works just fine... so I dont need to mess with it.

Man... that rocks. Aside from flipping the shifter lever, that was one of the bigger "I dont know what I am gonna do about this" areas.

Okay, so how do I get the key lock to work with th AOD? When I turn off the ignition, it wont let me take the key out until I am in park. That is controlled by a rod that comes from the tranny. Just curious to know if anyone has that working with their AOD.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Sorry 'bout that, I thought everyone knows I hate the "R" word. "RARE"

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Are you going to abandon the shift/ignition interlock that will prevent the shift lever from moving when the ignition switch is in the OFF position? I welded an additional lever onto the AOD lever to still have this feature. Only an issue on 70 and newer cars when Ford went to steering column mounted switches. You can just leave the linkage off if you wish, then it will just be our secret and everyone else on the internet! John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts