Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When does your FMX tranny shift? My 1-2 shifts at 4000rpm and my 2-3 shift is at 3000rpm's at full throttle...that seems way too low to me.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
I'm not sure of my full throttle shift points, I'll try and 'test' it in a few days. I do know that it's normally in 3rd by the time I get to the other side of the intersection on normal cruising speed.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could the problem be that I have no kickdown cable?

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
The kickdown rod (not a cable unless someone's swapped in a Lokar unit) aids in automatically downshifting the trans when you floor it. It would not have an affect on upshifts.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, thanks for clearing that up for me. Is there a way to adjust the shift points through the modulator or some other means? I've heard that some of the aftermarket modulators have adjustment screws for altering shift points...is that correct?

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
I just returned from a test run, and mine shifts from 1-2 at approx 4000 rpm, speed is approx 40 mph. The 2-3 shift is at approx 4100 rpm, speed approx 70 mph. We match on the 1-2 shift rpm but your 2-3 is low, compared to mine. I could understand it being set to shift from the factory at 4000 for a stock engine, it's a safe ceiling. You can always manually upshift it.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The adjustment is in the vac. port on the modulator, you use a small allen wrench.
Which way would I turn the adjustment screw to increase the shift point to a higher rpm. Sorry, I know zilch about transmissions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts