Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been meaning to ask this question for a while now. I have had a tranny fluid leak for about a year now. Its not coming from the pan. It is a strange leak. I can run the car, park it in the garage and have no fluid on the ground for a day, but I go back the next day and it has puked tranny fluid on the ground. Transmission has fluid all over it so hard to pinpoint. Anyone have this experience or have any ideas?

·
Registered
71 Mach1, Mcode, AOD, 4 wheel discs, Ram air, Cragars in Vermilion Fire paint.
967 Posts
I changed pan filter/gasket and also installed a new vac modulator on my fmx.

There's an overflow outlet there somewhere where I've connected a clear tube and pointed it upwards about 6 inches once I realised that my leaks were coming out of there.

With the clear tube, once the levels have settled, at least with the clear tube you can see how much is trying to overflow.

It seems to have stopped lately, I may have just overfilled it with tranny fluid ...

·
Registered
179 Posts
shifter seal or dipstick tube. When the car is running pump the fills up the torque converter. When you shut it down the fluid level in the case rises.

I don't know why but I have trouble finding the correct o-ring for the dipstick tube. Rebuild kit doesn't always include it. I went through three (and a few puddles of fluid in the driveway) on my RV C-6.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts