Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted not too long about a tranny leak I had with my FMX. It looks like the majority of it is coming from the overflow, so I must have just put too much fluid in. The other little bit is coming from the kick down lever seal. Now, I'm pretty sure I already know the bad news on this one, but is it possible to change this seal without tearing the world apart. I think not, but I just thought that I would ask.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
I haven't looked at a FMX in eons but if the setup is like a C4, there's an o-ring in the sector shaft which seals on the kickdown lever shaft. IIRC, it means dropping the pan and valve body and possibly tilting the trans a bit to get the shaft out.

Don't hold me to it but I wanted to prepare you :)

Pat

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Patrick...thats kinda what I was thinking that I was going to have to do.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I just did a similar fix last year and Pat is correct. I think you also have to disconnect something on one of the bands. Can't remember exactly what or why. Here's a picture of the inside once the VB is removed. I had to swap out my selector arm and I replaced that seal. The kick-down shaft is the one to the right or lower one.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/2518000-2518999/2518126_150_full.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts