Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1968 Mustang Hoopty Coupe
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

New guy here from Northern Michigan. I picked up a '68 Coupe late last fall and I have used this forum several times for info, so I thought I might as well join in to make it legit. I really wasn't in the market for a coupe, but it was the most complete car for the price. She has the typical issues, front frame rails, torque boxes, floor supports and front pans all need replacement. However, the interior is complete, all the lights work, all the gauges work, she runs great (289)and the body isn't all that bad. Hell, it even had the original owners manual in the glovebox.

Anyway, I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade and have been messing around with cars since I was a kid (that was longer ago than I care to admit), so I plan on getting the front end fixed back up so I can put her on the road. The big plan is to drive her during the summer and work on her through the long Michigan winters.

Not really sure what specific direction I'm headed with the car, maybe somewhere in the restomod spectrum...

Nice to meet everyone!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Welcome. Good job getting your location in your profile. Now post some pics of the car - any condition is OK to feed our habit.

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
6,681 Posts
Welcome to the VMF. Nice to hear you plan on keeping it running while you bring it back to shape. Unlike some of us :rolleyes:. And I agree, post some pics of that puppy.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol. Will do later today when I have access to better interwebs.

Megansmustang, I bought the car in Pinconning actually. Greetings from Tawas.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Some pics of the old girl.

The day I brought her home

Test fitting off road lights. I've always liked this look.

Testing out some different backspacing and wheel widths. These are 17" wheels with 235/40 and 245/40 tires...

Once took some measurements, I wanted to see what kind of width I could get away with in the rear. I did some quick measurements and realized that I could reverse the rear wheels and get a 5" backspacking with the drums removed. After bolting them up with a 265 tire, I realized a 265 will fit under this car relatively easy. I never would have guessed that looking at all of the fitment guides I have seen online.

After going back and forth on what size wheels and tires I wanted to go with, I settled on American Racing VN507 Rodders in 18x8 (4" B/S) and 18x9.5 (5.25" B/S)
The pics don't really do these wheels much justice, they look 10x better in person. I went with the bigger wheel because of liking the tucked wheel look. We'll see how this works out.

After test fitting the wheels and measuring everything about 10 times, I came up with a tire plan. However, I'm going to keep that to myself for now. The tires are supposed to be here on Friday, and with some luck I can get them mounted on Saturday. More pics to come.

·
Hi, how ya doin
2,490 Posts
Welcome to VMF.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts