Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a degreaser/cleaner out there that stays where you shoot it (i.e. Scrubbing Bubbles). I have some serious cleaning up to do under the car, especially near the pumpkin. I would like to get it all clean and degreased while still preserving the underlying paint. Ideally, I would spray on some foaming cleaner/degreaser and let it set for a while to really get in there and break up the gunk. Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Saw a post here the other day about using some of that foaming oven cleaner. A couple of folks said it worked great for grease and grime.

Note that I've never used this myself. I'd be interested in the results if you try it. Good luck!

G

·
0 Posts
For really grimey stuff, I use oven cleaner. You cannot preserve the paint this way. Aluminum will turn grey.

I know it doesn't answer your question, but you might get frustrated take this more brutal approach. It might be quicker to do this and repaint.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I have read about the Easy-Off approach too...the one thing that scares me about that is the potential damage to anything that isn't metal. Ruining plastic and/or rubber parts is not the objective here. I have some smog parts on the shelf that I can test it on. They need a repaint anyway...I will repost with some pics (before & after stuff) by tomorrow. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
You might purchase a small pressure sprayer such as used for weeds and bug control and use some diesel fuel in it to spray the areas you need cleaned. It would probably take a number of applications but the diesel wont harm the paint...

·
Registered
406 Posts
Have you tried the foam type engine degreasers?
It works well on spots with accumulated dirt/grime.
Trick to is to use hot water when rinsing.

Also try using a pressure washer like Simoniz or Karcher.
I have a rear center section out and the pressure washer
with hot water cleaned it well and no grease around.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have used it in the past, and it has a tendancy to etch paint the same way oven cleaner will. It is ready available however considering I have two cans on the shelf as I write this. I will try it along side the Easy-Off and post pics so you guys can be the judges as well. Thanks.

G

·
0 Posts
I just recently bought some foaming stuff from A-zone made by Simple Green...wasnt too strong and as long as you use warm water, i think it would work pretty well...it did for me anyways.
-Ryan

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have tried the generic foam stuff. You may as well spray shaving cream on there. I strongly swear by Gunk. Even on undercarriage parts, try it then use a pressure washer. It has worked for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts