Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To better utilize the area behind my back seat in the 71 Mach 1, I was wondering what all is involved to change to the fold down rear seat? Is it worth it? Any pics would be appreciated. Kerry

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I think Hemmikiller cover this not to long ago.I think you will need to weld in some brackets.Hemikiller,Bighorse jump in tell the man what he needs to know. ;)

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
its a LOT of work, its not a direct bolt on.
you have to cut the support bars behind the rear seat, and you need the side sheet metal panels from a car with a fold down, you have to weld those in on the sides.

you also need the trunk bumpers and brackets that support the fold down on the trunk floor those need to be welded in.

then you need all the hardware, the rear quarter panels are different and you need the extension pieces with the brackets for those welded under the rear window.

I know I'm missing some more details here.
all the stuff is a pain to find, its like converting a fastback with rolldown rear windows from a coupe. unless you already have a car with the fold down complete, its just too much work.

I had one friend do a conversion on a 72, he said he would never do another one it was way to time consuming, and btw the 72 is still not completed and its been sitting behind his house for a number of years now.

·
Registered
10,595 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts