Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are these odd folds on the fire wall of my 1970 mustang. I want to make sure they are from the factory and not accident damage. They are located at the start of the transmission tunnel.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I’m not really surprised. These were extremely cheap cars. Funny how we put so much effort into restoring what was the equivalent of a Honda Civic today:)

Most see them through rose colored glasses. Mustangs were bargain basement cars made as cheap as possible to try to get Ford back to profitability by making a cheap car that would sell in large numbers. The key was that they had a good body style. I wouldn't equate them to a modern civic as it is an extremely well built and reliable car something like a Ford Fiesta would be closer to it. GM got the upper hand on quality as the Mustang was first and they spent more in making a more robust car. Being second you learn from the first guys mistakes.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Most see them through rose colored glasses. Mustangs were bargain basement cars made as cheap as possible to try to get Ford back to profitability by making a cheap car that would sell in large numbers. The key was that they had a good body style. I wouldn't equate them to a modern civic as it is an extremely well built and reliable car something like a Ford Fiesta would be closer to it. GM got the upper hand on quality as the Mustang was first and they spent more in making a more robust car. Being second you learn from the first guys mistakes.
I agree with everything you said for sure. It’s interesting to me how the mustang changed in just its first generation. For example the 1970 has bolt in glass while previous years had glue in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts